miata bottom end parts in my b6-ze

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
the_twig_187
antispam: No

miata bottom end parts in my b6-ze

Post by the_twig_187 »

hey all

im trying to wrap my brain around all that is needed to rebuild my engines internals in order to boost it with a turbo.

I know theres not much i can do with the top end of the engine as there are not many upgrades available for a (96-obd2) mazda b6-ze engine other then replacing the valves and springs and keepers with oem parts.

my Question lies with the bottom end and its compatibility with the miata's 1.6L b6 engine. would the same pistons,rods,main bearings ect fit in the bottom end of my mx3 engine? or is there specific length or unique differences between the miata 1.6 DOHC B6 engine and my mx-3 1.6 DOHC B6-ze enginie

If anyone has info on this it would be much appreciated...thanks always
Chris
-BLACK 1996 1.6L DOHC
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3834912" (Car Domain Page)
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=76892 (mx3.com worklog)
-Green 1993 Toyota Turcel (winter beater)
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: miata bottom end parts in my b6-ze

Post by Josh »

the_twig_187 wrote:hey all

im trying to wrap my brain around all that is needed to rebuild my engines internals in order to boost it with a turbo.

I know theres not much i can do with the top end of the engine as there are not many upgrades available for a (96-obd2) mazda b6-ze engine other then replacing the valves and springs and keepers with oem parts.

my Question lies with the bottom end and its compatibility with the miata's 1.6L b6 engine. would the same pistons,rods,main bearings ect fit in the bottom end of my mx3 engine? or is there specific length or unique differences between the miata 1.6 DOHC B6 engine and my mx-3 1.6 DOHC B6-ze enginie

If anyone has info on this it would be much appreciated...thanks always
Chris

UMmm there are many upgrades for the top end... If you are going turbo you should at least replace the valves for Stainless Steel or sodium filled valves, they take the heat a lot better.

to answer your ? all lower end parts are interchangeable. to keep it on the cheep look for B6T, BPT, or GTR rods. they are plenty strong and often you can find them used around 100 bucks.
the_twig_187

Post by the_twig_187 »

Amazing thanks josh!
-BLACK 1996 1.6L DOHC
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3834912" (Car Domain Page)
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=76892 (mx3.com worklog)
-Green 1993 Toyota Turcel (winter beater)
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

the_twig_187 wrote:Amazing thanks josh!
Dont hold me to this but i think jarid perry has a b6t bottom end on a b6 head. remember for miata top end parts they are opposite of the mx. so just reverse cams. i have been researching intake manifolds. There are a few out there so you can put a 75 mm throttle body on
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Vecia
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Vecia »

monty73741 wrote:
Dont hold me to this but i think jarid perry has a b6t bottom end on a b6 head. remember for miata top end parts they are opposite of the mx. so just reverse cams. i have been researching intake manifolds. There are a few out there so you can put a 75 mm throttle body on
LOL! Don't make the mistake I did and purchase a re-manufactured engine without doing enough research... ended up with a Miata long block assembly set up for rear wheel drive and the reversed Miata head. (disti on the intake cam side)... I still feel like an idiot for that one!

Miata head on a Kia Sephia B6 block

Here's the Valve Cover Gasket from the gasket set that came with re-manufactured engine laying on top of my engine.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

monty73741 wrote:

All b3, b5, b6, and BP lower end parts can be interchangeable minus the BP crank that it. There is a difference between a b6 head and the b6de head out of the mx3. Only exhaust manifolds are interchangeable between the b6 and b6de.

It's not as simple as reverse came, do a search on that I did a write up several years ago on it.
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

[/quote]

Only exhaust manifolds are interchangeable between the b6 and b6de.

Does this include for B6-2E version?It's the same b6 Soch engine with 16valves instead 8.
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

DeadMaker wrote:
Only exhaust manifolds are interchangeable between the b6 and b6de.

Does this include for B6-2E version?It's the same b6 Soch engine with 16valves instead 8.[/quote]

Sohc manifold will not bolt to a dohc.the 16 valve and the 8 valve sohc manifold may be interchangeable. I have never checked that one. But rumor has It the 8 valve head actually flows more air than the 16 valve.

Lower ends of the sohc 's are shared as well. You can swap a dohc head to a sohc block but the de head requires a couple of modifications to oil ports.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”