GTR - GTX differences

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
jeffs93toy
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

GTR - GTX differences

Post by jeffs93toy »

I found a gtx but im apprehensive on getting it as it is in a wrecker yard and is a gtx.

I want to run boost on my mx3 but I dont want to pay an outragous amount to do it on a gtx if it still wont be able to run with a gtr, both with a stock and as close to stock as you can get setup.

So my question is this which engine is better power and performance wise with a stock turbo setup?

Thanks, Jeff
Tavman_1213

Re: GTR - GTX differences

Post by Tavman_1213 »

With a "stock" set up the GTR is better power but you will be paying a hell of alot more if you can find one! That is why most people go with the GTX because for the power to budget, most people don't want to spend the extra money for the stock upgrades! I have no experience with the GTR's except for what I have read and when I work on my buddies 323 GTR(fricken amazing car)!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
jeffs93toy

Post by jeffs93toy »

then my question is this what is need to run a gtx with about 10psi?

I know i need the engine and clutch, but what else?

Are both these engines turbo stock? I just did some quick searching and the ones i found are both turbo.

Edit: Question answered, courtesy of neuman, Thank you again sir.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

the stock B6 will take 10psi
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

>then my question is this what is need to run a gtx with about 10psi?

Not a whole lot, your N/A B6 or BP motor will run 10psi all day long

>I know i need the engine and clutch, but what else?

Since you have a 93 all you will really need extra is a BP26 ECU. It is plug and play but you will need to run a couple of extra wires for the knock sensor. you should source out the proper VAF as well, or look up on Club Protege on how to run an RX7 VAF.

If you are running a B6 now I would recommend upgrading to a G series transmission at the same time. The Kia 5 speed with axles is the cheapest and best option.

>Are both these engines turbo stock? I just did some quick searching and the ones i found are both turbo.

Yes both motors are stock engines. The GTX or BP26 motor is a lot more common and cheaper as stated above.

Whoops didnt see the edit.. oh well
jeffs93toy

Post by jeffs93toy »

thanks for the reply josh. Now my question turns towards the kia tranny. Whats the difference between it and my stock one also which kis has it.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

jeffs93toy wrote:thanks for the reply josh. Now my question turns towards the kia tranny. Whats the difference between it and my stock one also which kis has it.
the kia tranny's are out of kia sephia's and the differences is that your stock one is an F series tranny and the kia is a G-series tranny which are stronger.
here's a link for tranny's
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... +swap+info
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Josh wrote:1>then my question is this what is need to run a gtx with about 10psi?

Not a whole lot, your N/A B6 or BP motor will run 10psi all day long

2>I know i need the engine and clutch, but what else?

Since you have a 93 all you will really need extra is a BP26 ECU. It is plug and play but you will need to run a couple of extra wires for the knock sensor. you should source out the proper VAF as well, or look up on Club Protege on how to run an RX7 VAF.

If you are running a B6 now I would recommend upgrading to a G series transmission at the same time. The Kia 5 speed with axles is the cheapest and best option.

3>Are both these engines turbo stock? I just did some quick searching and the ones i found are both turbo.

Yes both motors are stock engines. The GTX or BP26 motor is a lot more common and cheaper as stated above.

Whoops didnt see the edit.. oh well
just wanted to add some info to josh's info
1. the stock BP turbo runs at 8psi so if you get a boost controller you can easily turn it up to 10psi.
2. josh was correct on everything but i just wanted to add that you can also get a BP26 VAF as i have one, not sure if there's any performance difference but its actually meant for the BP26 ecu so i assume it's better
*edit*i just realized josh already mentioned this but i didn't read close enough. but i guess you know what the "proper VAF" is coded now
3.nothing to add here
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Mid 90's Kia sophea they came equipped with a BP motor. The stock B6 MX3 uses a F series transmission they are very very weak when it comes to boost. I went threw many of them with my boosted B6 motor. The BP's use a G series transmission with the same internals as the GS mx3 does, a lot stronger than the F series. The kia is one up on that using or sharing rather the same internals as the 99' protege, it is still a G series, and the axles have 2 spline count bigger than the others. They are a bit more durable than the older style G boxes. If you are wanting a nice reliable gear box with the BP26 this is the best choice.

And if you wanted to you can have a MS Protege limited slip differential installed into this box with minimal complications.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Evo_Spec wrote: just wanted to add some info to josh's info
1. the stock BP turbo runs at 8psi so if you get a boost controller you can easily turn it up to 10psi.
2. josh was correct on everything but i just wanted to add that you can also get a BP26 VAF as i have one, not sure if there's any performance difference but its actually meant for the BP26 ecu so i assume it's better
*edit*i just realized josh already mentioned this but i didn't read close enough. but i guess you know what the "proper VAF" is coded now
3.nothing to add here

Yeah, the RX7 VAF is the largest and flows the most air out of the VAF's from these generations, but the proper VAF is the best choice for plug and play. The RX7 VAF needs to be adjusted to work properly. On Club Protege there are a couple write ups on it. I think there is even a Supra VAF that some guys are running now.

No one really said it but the biggest difference between the GTX and GTR motors is about 178hp to 210 HP stock at the crank.

The GTR has higher compression, different intake and exhaust manifolds, it also uses a VJ23 turbo vs I think a VJ11, and from what I remember is the head ports are larger with different valves, and the rods are beefier than the BP26's. There are advantages to using the GTR motor over the GTX motor. But you will pay for it last one I saw was at like 1800 which really is not too bad.
jeffs93toy

Post by jeffs93toy »

wow lots of info... so hypothetically i could just find a mid 90s kia and pull a bp and the trans judging from this
Mid 90's Kia sophea they came equipped with a BP motor
If so thisll make life a good bit easier as there is plenty of kias around but not many mazdas.
Also what and where is the engine code stamped on these motors for the two of them.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Same motor code as Mazda its stamped with a BP. the engines are identical other than the valve cover with the Kia on it.

IMO I would find a good N/A motor and find GTX bolt on's, it makes more power.
jeffs93toy

Post by jeffs93toy »

you mean like the mx3 1.6 dohc? My question to that is how would the stock internals hold up once i start toying around and uping the boost.

I only want to run a stock setup for a little while.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

If it's the DOHC, it's fine. It will take a fair ammount of power with no issues. The main thing is a good tune and good parts.

Read some of the work logs and do some searching. Any 4 cyl dohc will take boost. Get a HP goal and build your car around that goal.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”