Valve Cover gaskets making me angry..you dont want to see...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdaspeed23
antispam: No

Re: Valve Cover gaskets making me angry..you dont want to se

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

very true jamestakay especially when theyve got alot of money into them
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
1994 MX-3 GS Swapped ZE (Gone)
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport v8 Magnum
2007 Ford Fusion SE

WORK LOG: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=81232

My MX-3 is nothing without me, and i am nothing without my MX-3
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

It never hurts to closely examine your gaskets prior to install either. :) There could be excess material that doesn't allow it to properly seat in the Valve Cover, or elsewhere even.

I don't have a torque wrench that adjusts low enough for the VC, so I've been doing it by feel. :shrug: It's on the shopping list, but I've never had a problem to date.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

You can do it by feel rather easily.

torque is linear, so 60 inch lbs is 5 lbs on a foot, and you have a better muscle-wise guesstimate on 5 lbs than 60.

Range in in-lbs from the manual is 43-78, which translates to 3.58-6.5 lbs on a foot... if you can't feel that, then idk, you need to handle more groceries! lol.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I've said that for a long time :lol: Still, I need a lower range torque wrench... Sometimes it's comforting to know you're spot on.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

You should do them exactly as the manual says, it works every time. There is a torque pattern to follow as well.

I put the dabs of RTV (use black or gray RTV) in the required places and place the VC down and lightly finger tighten the bolts, let sit for 20 to 30 minutes and torque down..
jamestakay

Post by jamestakay »

Yeah, torque it with the right tools and with the right pattern, mine has been good for me on my mx6 and sometime soon i'll be doing one on the mx3. Not sure yet though, lol, too cold now. Plus if you buy from napa, they come in a nice package saying made in japan if you care. lol.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Not following the torque pattern is stupid, I agree on that wholly. I guarantee my front VC on my '92 is torqued to between 8-10 ft-lbs and hasn't given me trouble for 15,000 hard driven miles.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
jamestakay

Post by jamestakay »

Same here, I've driven mine probably 10,000 miles since my thermo block spacers were thrown on my 6 and it looks nice and dry. I'd hate to take off the mani just to redo it all. lol
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ahh, the most commonly overlooked benefit to ITB setups. :lol: You don't need to remove the IM to service the right head, how nice would that be?
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
jamestakay

Post by jamestakay »

lol, true, but would suck if radiator leaked coolant causing itbs to suck it up. lol, you win some, you lose some, no risk no reward. lol
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I've bought $12 gasket kit off of ebay, got a torque wrench from Harbor Freight. Used RTV sealant on the gasket, and between gasket/valve cover, let it tack up. Gently put it on there, not to smear sealant. Torque down according to manual and torque settings. No leaks. Before my spark plugs would be covered in oil, spark plug wells were full of oil
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Another thing to look at is your PCV system. If it's blocked, excess pressure could be blowing them.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Hmm my rear one is a b---- to get leak free. Don't agree with the less torque is more idea though.

You really have to tighten them down in a few steps. Use some gasket goo and torque down finger tight, then after goo has dried for a couple hours. torque down some more. And then the next day when your goo has cured 100% torque down to spec.

The best luck I actually ever had was when my Dad used Hylomar spray and that was it. Then we torqued it down and it was fine. It only leaked after that because I took them off looking for stupid things....
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

The only problem with over tightening is that it is a rubber gasket and if you over torque it the rubber will bunch up instead of seal properly.

Another thing to always check too is make sure your surface is clean. Use carb cleaner or gas on a rag, thinner will work too. But you want a dry clean surface.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”