klze wont start

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
denisizzle
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

klze wont start

Post by denisizzle »

I just finished changing the rad cause the old one was leaking. I went to start the car and it started just fine and died about 5 seconds later. I realized I forgot one of the spark plug wires out of the distributor and have since put it back in. Did I damage it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
denisizzle

Re: klze wont start

Post by denisizzle »

could it just be that the spark plug is flooded and I need to take it out to wait for the gas to evaporate?
davmac

Post by davmac »

Sure one cylinder is probably flooded, but that won't keep the engine from starting. You could remove one plug and the engine would still run - just poorly since it would be running on 5 cylinders. Pull the plug and even replace it, but if the car doesn't start its back to basics - spark, fuel, air, timing.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
denisizzle

Post by denisizzle »

Nope that wasn't it, she still refuses to start. I can smell gas so I don't believe it's that. Cranks good and when the battery gets low I can hear all the plugs firing. It was starting up PERFECTLY before this. What could I have messed up having that 1 wire out of the distributor?

Also should mention I only have water in the rad for now cause I just want to run it and see if there are any leaks. Also I poured water kind of haphazardly in the radiator cap so there was water all around that area.
denisizzle

Post by denisizzle »

I tried starting it with the throttle wide open and still nothing, also tried jumping ten and ground and getting the fuel pump running. How do I check the timing?
davmac

Post by davmac »

Only thing I can think of is that you had all the spark plug wires off and have attached them in wrong order (timing). I guess I don't know that for sure since you could change out the rad without moving the plug wires, but its the only thing that makes sense right now. Even if timing belt is good and distributor is good if wires are connected out of order you'll never get spark to the cylinder at the right time.

I can't believe that the timing belt just coincidentally snapped. Check timing belt by removing the distributor cap and confirm the rotor turns with the starter spinning the engine.

Fuel pump is tested by connecting GND and F/P in the diagnostics box and then turning the ignition switch to "on" position - do not start. You should hear the pump if it is ok. Link here

Confirm spark with either a spark tester that connects inline with the spark plug (you'll see light flash) or remove wire and plug and hold with insulated wrench close to a ground - engine or body. You need to see the arc or flashing light to confirm spark.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok you mentioned the rad change but you didn't mention why the spark plug wire was out. You can't hear the spark plugs firing but possibly injector pulses. Make sure both plugs on top of the disty are securely seated in the distributor (not the spark plug wires).
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

make sure all of your sensors are plugged in, spark plug wires are in correct order. You can check for spark and it should start.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
denisizzle

Post by denisizzle »

I took it out cause it was in the way and forgot to plug it back in. Well what I mean by hearing it is that when the battery dies it stops cranking and all I hear is the clicking. The Maf is plugged in but there's a two wire connector coming out of it not doing anything. Also it did start but it died 5 seconds later and no longer starts. How loud should the fuel pump be it seems pretty quiet when I jump to and gnd. Since I hear the clicking my injectors are good?
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

My guess is your battery might be dead too or too low so your car won't start
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
denisizzle

Post by denisizzle »

I've tried jumping it so I don't think its the problem.
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Try removing & inspecting the spark plugs, maybe one is oil soaked from a minor leak in a valve cover gasket, Also maybe remove the air intake hoses & inspect them for cracks, the car will not start with an air leak in the intake line it is extremely common, also you can try holding the intake tubing together with your hand while a buddy tries to start it in case there is a rip in it, or LIGHTLY tapping your Air flow sensor while someone is trying to start it, if your air flow sensor is going out. I doubt you fried your distributor, while starting with a spark wire out. As mentioned double check the firing order (spots of plug wires on distributor)
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

check to see if you have strong spark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZceAZgZBn9E
If you have good spark and still won't start, unscrew your spark plugs and see if they're wet, if they are wet (gas) then it should start, just keep cranking, your engine might be flooded. Maybe gas is old and since they put ethanol in it, it attracts too much moisture.
denisizzle

Post by denisizzle »

I'll remove all the plugs to make sure there is gas and none of em are oil soaked also I will check for spark. If one of em sparks then they should all be good right?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

denisizzle wrote: The Maf is plugged in but there's a two wire connector coming out of it not doing anything. ?
Ok, if you removed the intake to give clearance to remove your rad then it sounds like you haven't plugged you MAF electrical plug back into the maf. If this is the case your motor will never start. Did the plug drop out of sight? Find it and plug it it and your motor will start.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”