Help! Compression tester stuck in spark plug hole.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
denisizzle
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Help! Compression tester stuck in spark plug hole.

Post by denisizzle »

So I was running a compression test and then the tester would not come out at all. It broke and this is what I'm left with:

What the heck do I do now?
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Re: Help! Compression tester stuck in spark plug hole.

Post by mikeinaus »

screw extractor might work?
denisizzle

Post by denisizzle »

is that like an easy out?
davmac

Post by davmac »

I'm sorry this happened to you. The pressure tester piece might be cross threaded.
Easy out is same as screw extractor. Both are essentially left hand threaded so after you have drilled a hole in the pressure tester piece you just turn counter clockwise by hand and the piece should back out. Problem I think is that the screw extractors are too short - and a normal drill bit will put metal into the cylinder. Measure length you'll need and try to find a left hand drill bit that is long enough to reach. The very act of drilling a hole with left hand bit will probably unscrew the piece. Coat the drill bit with oil when you drill so most of the metal shavings will stay on the bit.
When using the extractor or if you have to chase the spark plug threads with tap be sure to get a tap handle and only turn by hand. Putting those in the chuck of a drill can be disastrous.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
denisizzle

Post by denisizzle »

Yeah I'm not sure, I didn't tighten it down much just snug. After the test it must have pushed the tester against the threads so when twisting it the tube broke :( I will buy the extractor and give it a shot. Thanks for the help.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

You may also want to pull your VC off to get a few mm closer as well. GL that is a frustration right there
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
denisizzle

Post by denisizzle »

So do I drill a threads into it first (There arent threads in that little post) and then screw the extractor in by hand counter-clockwise and it should lock in place then I just turn it to get it out?
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

If it makes you feel any better, you're lucky this was in the forward VC... You should be able to get it out with minimal effort =) Just use a vacuum or strong magnet to remove as much of the metal shavings as you can, prior to removing the tester.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

the screw extractor should have a recommended size of drill bit that youd start the hole with first. the fact that this is a nipple and not solid metal id just try with the screw extractor and see if it gets you anywhere. you dont want to tap threads into it.
denisizzle

Post by denisizzle »

I can't find a screw extractor with a drill bit that I can use an extension with. So I'm thinking of drilling some threads and then firing a screw in there with red loctite.
SBR

Post by SBR »

Drill + extractor bit + extensions. Saved my a-- once when Bosch plugs broke off (mind you fresh plugs and antiseize on threads).
Black 1993 Mazda MX-3 GS - daily driver
Kenwood BT-948HD, MB Quart FX4.100 and ONX1.1000D, Polk MM6501 x4, Polk MM1240
SE interior, MOMO Endurance shift boot, Tomei long shift knob, eBay short shifter

Red 1987 Toyota MR2 - go kart

"If it's crazy you want, it's crazy you get."
davmac

Post by davmac »

Find a left hand drill bit that you can use with a drill bit extension. Drilling a hole in reverse will probably be enough to extract the pressure tester fitting.
Where are you located? A Sears with decent tool selection or a good hardware store should have bit extension and some left hand bits. On line tool sources will definitely have these if you can wait for it to be shipped.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
denisizzle

Post by denisizzle »

I got it. Turns out there were threads on the piece (couldn't see this) and hammering a deep socket in there got it out. Thanks for the help.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”