Brembo Front Rotors-Slotted or Drilled? advice?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
mor500589
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Brembo Front Rotors-Slotted or Drilled? advice?

Post by mor500589 »

Im currently stuck between two KILLER deals on rotors for the front which need replacement BADLYYYY but need to know which is better in the end and if anyone has bought and installed these before.

also the posting seems too good to be true.... Brembos for 120.00USD for the pair?!?!?!?!?!

LINKS:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BREMBO-S ... 519b01a84a

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BREMBO-S ... 5ae26ce77e
1994 Mazda Mx-3 1.6 DOHC {cams, stage 2 LUK clutch, B&M Short throw shifter, headers back straight pipe, GOLF CART MIRROR, Duralast Gold Rotors and Pads, ALL metal Radiator, BOSCH 120 amp Alternator} more TBA ;)

ImageImageImage
Ryan

Re: Brembo Front Rotors-Slotted or Drilled? advice?

Post by Ryan »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=78003

I wouldn't waste my money. I paid $80 for all 4 of my rotors, and I'm a happy guy.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I would go with the slotted if you are dead set on aesthetics for your braking system.

I agree with Ryan - just get some blanks :shrug:
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I would go with drilled for appearance. But that's just me.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

all of them have their pros and cons. I like both so that's why I went with slotted and cross drilled :)

slotted are more functional IMO, but drilled looks killer. If I were to pick between the two I would go with the drilled.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Honestly, I like the look of slotted rotors a lot. Beyond that, I'm planning to stick with smooth(blank) rotors. They don't look bad, especially if you remember to change your pads on time! Your money would be much better spent on a Millenia 2 piston caliper upgrade(uses stock MX-3 rotors, with a good deal more surface area used for braking power), and after that I hear the MazdaSpeed Miata rears are fairly easy to swap.

There's a fairly recent thread with good info in it, honestly I'll be doing this upgrade before I buy new rotors(I need to resurface or replace my fronts, they're pitted from me being a noob and thinking I could get by without replacing fading brakes just by driving slower)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

slotted ftw
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I used 2 sets of Brembo slotted and drilled on my Mx-3. Got them from the same seller. I'm a fan of replacing the rotors and the pads at the same time. Remember that Brembo doesn't make slotted or drilled for our cars, they're just Brembo blanks that have been slotted and drilled from a 3rd party. I ran mine with KVR ceramic pads and they worked fantastic, but I have nothing to say that they would be better if they were just the blanks, or just slotted or just drilled, but that combo worked and worked great, so I stuck with it the second time around. Regardless, they were driven HARD and I never had any cracking or warping issues that people reported with drilled rotors. I personally would like a set of slotted rotors for the truck to help for braking when submersed in water or especially in mud.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

This is my own personal experience from drilled brembo rotors, this is a rear one. My fronts were replaced before this happened they started to spider crack so I replaced them.

94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”