Millenia IM removal problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Millenia IM removal problem

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm pulling the intake manifold from my '93 GS with a milli ZE.

What I need to know, is what could possibly keep me from removing this manifold.

Coolant, Fuel lines, Electrical, anything removable is removed, labeled, tucked out of the way, and otherwise not a problem.

I've removed all of the IM bolts on the runners, that connect them to the heads.

The one area I'm having a hard time with is the very back of the manifold, where I can't get my hands under it to fish around.

Are there any invisible bolts that would keep me from removing the IM? This is beyond frustrating right now, all this to fix a leaky VC gasket :evil:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Millenia IM removal problem

Post by Ryan »

Yes.

Its commonly known as the b---- bolt. Its a 12mm, on the back, on the left hand side (Driver's side)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Never worked on the Milly manifold, but, on my mx-6, there was plenty of crap on the back of the engine, that'd keep me from getting the IM out, including a brace that joined it to the rear cylinder head.
My advise: get under the car, with a good light, and take a look. :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Wow, quick replies! I feel blessed!

I'll check for that bolt real quick, I know it's common to not put it back in place on this board... I hope that's the cause, if so, I'm golden.

If not, I'll have to jack the car up, in stages, again :crying:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

With a little more aggressive wiggling, the manifold is mostly free. I'm definitely doubting it's a bolt or bracket now you guys.

There are coolant lines at the back of the IM that I can't access very well, they appeared to be long enough that I could lift the IM before removing them. Any workarounds come to mind?
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Oh!

the rear vent hose!

A little 90º elbow. behind cylinder 1.

don't forger the EGR coolant lines, and the coolant line between the TB and the rear head.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ryan,

That did help, now there appears to be ONE hangup point. The IM will wiggle left and right now, instead of just up/down.

This is getting tedious -.-
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

It may be the egr lines, are they extremely ridiculous to access? Like needle nose pliers and skinned knuckles ridiculous?
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

The blue arrows point to the coolant lines I am having a hard time accessing. Needle nose pliers, channel lock pliers, nothing. I can't fit any tool in there that has enough leverage to wiggle those off.

The red arrow points to a pipe which goes to the same location. Is this all part of the EGR system?

I tried removing this entire piece(which all 3 items connect to), but the bolts are too long to be removed with the IM in the car.

So far, this has been a hell of a day.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I got it off.

Everything I took a picture of played a role, and it was only those 3. :lol:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

lol, I just took my manifold off too, and I kept having problems with the rear vent and that tiny screw on the drivers side. I jacked it up and looked at it from underneath to find out what was holding it in.

my new IM didn't come with a rear vent pipe, so I'm going to just use a hose. What should I use to mount it, so it doesn't just hang?
what kind of car IS that?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Umm, IM should take like 10 mins. If it takes longer you are retard. You almost made me get off my butt, go out and look at my ZE on a pallet in the driveway to see what the h*ll your difficulty is. Anyway happy to read you got it off, any other problems like this one feel free to post questions,,,,on Probe talk. :P
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Daninski wrote:Umm, IM should take like 10 mins. If it takes longer you are retard. You almost made me get off my butt, go out and look at my ZE on a pallet in the driveway to see what the h*ll your difficulty is. Anyway happy to read you got it off, any other problems like this one feel free to post questions,,,,on Probe talk. :P
Dan, it was the exhaust to EGR piping that did it, don't hate :lol:

Honestly, I had to use an open end wrench to get it off, and that alone took 10 minutes. I could only turn the damn thing about 15 degrees at a time, before having to turn the wrench... :evil: It pissed me off to the point that I won't be putting the egr back in there. Simply because I don't want to go through this again, and the IM is just nasty... I hate EGR. Not the member though, he's cool :lol:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”