im 16 with my first car which is a 93 mx3 gs and need help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
doyl
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

im 16 with my first car which is a 93 mx3 gs and need help

Post by doyl »

hey im new to this site..this spring i bought a 93 mx3 from my brother for 150$ so i decided on buildng it my motor has 200k miles on it clutch and tranny are going out and thats the only problems so far..ive been told a KLZE motor is one of the best i could put in and i found some for 1100$ on some sites...but thats all i know so far i wanna get a stage 2 clutch and a new 5 speed transmission and i would love some input on what to do to it to to make it faster
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: im 16 with my first car which is a 93 mx3 gs and need he

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

welcome.

The search button is located in the red banner.

I simply cannot advise a 16 year old kid have a kl in an MX.

Sorry.
doyl

Post by doyl »

why is that?
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

Probably because it boosts HP and torque by roughly 52%, and your young and an inexperienced driver who like most 16 year olds...will be prehaps a little careless.
I had a friend who just got his licence and bought his uncles 88-90 mx-6 with a swapped engine. It was fairly quick and he decided to push the car in a street race, he lost control and died.
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
doyl

Post by doyl »

im ensure you im not a careless driver for one and i have a track where i live where all my friends go and one has a 02 spec v who thinks he is hot s--- cause he mom bought it for him..ive already talked this over with my parents and they said it would be fine..ive had my dad read stuff on the motor and he said i could handle it
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

Well all the information should be contained within this sub-forum, unless you want to use the 110amp alternator. Then you'd need to head over to the electronics section as well. Use the search button and search on google. It's a pretty straight forward swap..with the curved neck ZE anyway, not sure about the others.
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
doyl

Post by doyl »

thanks very much :D im new to cars though so i dontk now very much im having a hard time trying to find the right kind of tranny..my friend told me to look on jegs.com but i really couldnt find one..and my clutch too..not going to lie im retarded when it comes to cars
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

You have a G series transmission, the mx-3, mx-6, ford probe, and 626 all have the same transmission. They will all mount to the K series motor, K8,KF, and KL. The only difference is gear ratios, the 626 having the tallest 5th gear(rpm's will sit lower at highway)

You have a lot to learn, best read some worklogs on here, and study the mx-3 and her systems/components. The less you know the harder it will be. Start off by searching for a klze swap guide, I found a pretty good one on a Mazda protege forum.

Good luck
99 silverado
doyl

Post by doyl »

thank your very much for your help
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

I'm happy to help as I've received plenty on help from others on here
99 silverado
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

doyl,

I can understand and respect being young and new to cars in general, I especially understand the temptation to make it faster... This can be a hell of a thrill, and safe to boot, if you take your time and build it properly(driving it properly helps more than building it properly, as far as your life is concerned)

My advice is to research, buy books/download e-books, and read articles about all kinds of cars(not just MX-3s), this will save you time, money, stress, and can even save your life. After that, when you feel you have found the information you seek, if you still intend to swap in a KL, then I recommend you set a budget(Set aside 150% of the money you THINK you will need, because it almost always takes more).

I've had my '92 GS(with a K8) for 2 years now, and I've recently purchased a '93(w/ KLZE) this year. What I can tell you first hand, is that I would have done many stupid things if I'd had a ZE in my first MX-3.

The MX-3 wasn't even my first car, but this is my first fast car, and it's fast enough that I could kill myself(or others) if I made poor choices, or even uninformed ones. I had been driving for 5 years at that point, and thought I knew everything there was to know about driving.

I've done stupid, careless, ignorant things behind the wheel of many cars, and I've been damned lucky to survive them all unscathed. I learned along the way, and I'm trying to pass along some of that experience. It's hard to accept the full meaning of my advice without having experienced it yourself, but it's the best I can give you in such a short message.
Today I drive far differently than I did a year ago, and even moreso than I did 2 or 3 years ago; Some of it comes with age, but mostly I just got sick of seeing people dead on the freeway/highway because they had to show someone up with their car.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok, you need to swap to a KLZE real soon. Remove the rear view mirror cuz real racers know what 's behind you doesn't matter. Buy dividend paying stocks in a tire company because you'll be buying enough of them to single handedly raise share prices. Then have your parents take out a real good insurance policy on you. At this point in time consider a turbo as well to help expedite the entire process. Finally, failing this why not spend about 3-4 months like I did reading up on stuff like swapping to a ZE. We can help you make informed decisions so you don't waste your money and in the end you'll be happy with the finished product and just maybe you"ll realize that there's more to performance than just horse power.

Cheers, Dan

A few reads to get you started :D
http://www.mazda626.net/topic/37114-kld ... 4-vs-klze/
http://www.mazdamaniac.com/oldsite/home1.htm
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=65960
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Do a google search for "KLZE Swap" and read the entire first page of search results. Everyone who does this swap regardless of the car they put it in has essentially similar requirements.

Pay attention to the discussion about the temperature sensors and the ECU (chipping vs. finding a J-spec). The ZE is a significant upgrade from the K8 but it's not a monster by any means. You don't have to overdo things like the clutch. A stock clutch is just fine. I've been using a stock Exedy clutch for over 2 years now.

Read lots of worklogs. There's tons of information in there.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
doyl

Post by doyl »

thank you guys..and so far ive set aside 1100$ and still saving i get around 450$ every 2 weeks from work and all that goes into my car..i was really hoping on purchasing a ZE on the 5th of next month but if you guys think that would be a stupid decision tell me...i just reallly wanna tear stuff up at the track by my house..all my friends race there and i just want a car that would destroy theres so they can stop rubbin it my face that their rich parents bought them these cars...
davmac

Post by davmac »

Welcome to the forum and good luck to you and your new to you MX-3.

^Not a stupid decision, but not the right motivation either. There will always be a faster car - and richer people.

Since you're so new to cars and car repair in general my advice is to learn whether you like working on cars by fixing the things that need fixing. Ideally you'd do a general ignition tune up and replace brakes or similar maintenance to get to know your car and your tolerance for working on cars. No point in rushing into an engine swap either before or after studying the details of what that will take. If your clutch is slipping and the tranny shifts real rough indicating you need to replace the clutch components and potentially rebuild or replace the tranny itself then start with that. You have to do it anyway and its already a big enough job. If your brother kept up with oil changes and other engine maintenance then you don't need to swap engines right away. A good quality clutch kit and a lower mileage tranny from any of the cars listed in an earlier post is all you need. Check out car-part dot com for a lower mileage transmission. Clutch replacement is already a big job. If you liked doing it then you'll be ready for other things. By then you'll know better what you want and more about your ability and desire to do it yourself. From an old dude (me) to a young guy - good luck and happy wrenching. I hope you find the same joy and sense of accomplishment as I have in spending hours removing a single rusted bolt.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”