attempted installation of ksport protege coilovers - fail

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

attempted installation of ksport protege coilovers - fail

Post by Mooneggs »

So I picked up a set of blown set of protege k-sport coilovers for a pretty good price and then just got new inserts for them from k-sport directly. I then reassembled them and it seemed like from everything I've read/heard that they could fit although most of the swaps are from the mx-6/probe.

The good news is that I was able to install the fronts and they feel really good. The bad news is that I don't see any possible way that I can get the backs to work. Between the slanted top mount and the amount of difference in the bottom mount it doesn't seem possible. :crying: So maybe I was a n00b for even trying, but whatever. The fronts fit without any modification other than adding washers to either sides of the bottom mount bolts. On the rears, I pressed out the middle 3rd stud and then ground down the inside of the strut tower as well as expanded the holes for the 2 studs. After all that I realized there was no way I was going to make the bottom mount fit. So I decided not to try and ruin a perfectly good set of rears for another car...

I think I'll probably just end up buying a brand new k-sport set for the mx-3 and sell this set as a whole... :x

Fronts:

Rears:
Ryan

Re: attempted installation of ksport protege coilovers - fai

Post by Ryan »

Thought about trying a set of Protege rear spindles?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Yeah i did, but it seems like the geometry is just off... I don't like how that squarish top plate fits up there - it seems like that angle just doesn't work :?

I'm not an expert in this fabricating and making things fit that aren't supposed to and I don't want to make a mistake that could end up harming me or my car you know? It's not worth saving a few bucks IMO. I'd rather do it the right way.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

My XYZs looked a bit short when lining up the spindles. Was the car jacked up evenly both sides? However I'm inclined to agree sell them on and get the mx3 ones.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Yep, I tried both ways with the other side on the ground and with both sides jacked up to see how the angles changed. Even if I did get it to somehow fit it looked like the rim/tire would be touching the coils with how much I would have to move the holes on the bottom mount :confused2:
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I see the dillema there with the back. You need to drill the holes out (or dremel) so they will fit. That being said there isn't gonna be much metal left if you only do the top hole. Why not dremel both the holes so that you have enough metal left to be in a comfortable zone? It is totally possible as I recall this having to be done but it just occured to me when you msged me..

If worse comes to worse u may be able to buy the mx3 collar for the rears as the mx3 shock is the same diameter iirc but from the pics I can see that you can make it work with some precision dremeling/drilling of both holes
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

solo_ryder wrote: If worse comes to worse u may be able to buy the mx3 collar for the rears as the mx3 shock is the same diameter iirc but from the pics I can see that you can make it work with some precision dremeling/drilling of both holes
Thats what I would do, or see if you can buy just the rears.

I remember back before they were made for the MX, there was someone on here that worked with K sport and fitting them to the mx. I remember they had fronts that fit. but the rears were made up of K sport parts from several cars. That sux Moon hopefully you can figure it out. I wouldn't be comfortable with the rears like that either.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Decided to go with an actual mx-3 set... pics of installation and comparison to the proteges

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

WOW nice and tight next to the tire arnt they. lets see them with the MS wheels on your car now :)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Josh wrote:WOW nice and tight next to the tire arnt they. lets see them with the MS wheels on your car now :)
yes that's correct I cannot fit any of my fingers between the coil and tire. I was concerned about this but then I realized that's how close it was to the KYB GR-2 and I never had an issue with those... :shrug:

I have some 10mm spacers I can use if I ever need them...

I still need some rubber for the MS wheels... soon enough though... :mrgreen:
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Oh man that's just like me with 225s all around - in the rear I'm about 1mm away from rubbing :)
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

With my new spacers I am going to go to 225's as well. just looks beefy :)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

God I want coilovers :crying:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

Nice, have been considering that set of coilovers as well for some time now. How much? I have seen them for around $1000 I think. Do they have adjustable camber plates for the rear or are you using camber bolts?

My rear strut top hat is broken after 19 years of service. Have taken out the strut but the camber bolt is rusted into its hole so that is keeping me from putting the replacement strut and tophat back on.

So your suspension setting is looking great at this time as I wrestle with mine.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I forgot to ask Mark, how is ride comfort, compared to STOCK and KYB/Intrax? How about stability at high speed cornering?

I might have asked this in your other thread, I can't remember...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”