94 RS DOHC man trans is it same as 93 RS SOHC F25M-R trans?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
specialtyneed
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

94 RS DOHC man trans is it same as 93 RS SOHC F25M-R trans?

Post by specialtyneed »

Just got today a salvage '93 1.6 RS SOHC 88 hp man trans to put in my '94 RS DOHC 1.6L.
Is it the same F25M-R trans or did I make a big mistake because it was the only MX-3 available?
Who here knows for sure?

Also did the same for the AC compressor since my '94 RS one locked up 3 weeks ago and that salvage '93 SOHC one passed all the tests I could do on it at the yard.
I have not been all over this 94' DOHC car yet to have it all memorized.
The boys did the clutch kit job on it now I wish I had of helped.

We have a '94 factory manual and electrical prints for all except the AC compressor. I am former Auto AC guy back in '90 or there abouts. So referencing pages in the manuals I do have I can handle. The AC work is usually no prob for us. I have auto AC pro equipment. But this car is a bit of a rarity and info is sparse and lots of vin decoders have info wrong

Thanks much, in advance for the help you all have already been a great resource for us.
Shaun
94 MX-3 L4 1.6L B6-DE DOHC MT F25M-R Silver Ext Blk Int 181k mi disty mod to ext style done. Worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77306&hilit=specialtyneed&start=0
Ryan

Re: 94 RS DOHC man trans is it same as 93 RS SOHC F25M-R tra

Post by Ryan »

Its the same transmission.

Thats why we have a thread called "Official transmission swap info"

And right near the top it says
All the 4 banger B series Mazda engines EXCEPT the DOHC BP came with an F series gearbox. The axles are thinner, they don't feature a halfshaft, and the bellhousings are only made for the 4 cylinders, which all interchange. Yup. Any B series 4 banger from the 1.3L in Europe, the the 1.8L B8 have the same transmission bell housing, that is, THEY ALL INTERCHANGE.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
specialtyneed

Post by specialtyneed »

Thought I vaguely remembered something like that but its reassuring to know. Will look at that thread and study it so I do not forget it.
Thank you Ryan your help has been invaluable to us.
Shaun
94 MX-3 L4 1.6L B6-DE DOHC MT F25M-R Silver Ext Blk Int 181k mi disty mod to ext style done. Worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77306&hilit=specialtyneed&start=0
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Sorry if I sounded harsh in the above post, its just that I get a little irritable answering the same question over and over when its in a sticky or the FAQ. Kinda makes me feel like cataloguing threads like that aren't worth the effort, Nobody reads them.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
specialtyneed

Post by specialtyneed »

Well I do really understand see 3rd paragraph. I printed it in two formats and stuck it in my factory manual binder pocket at front with large header print after reading the swap thread first page repeatedly. I would have never asked if I thought the search as working correctly for me. Thankfully I just found out it is working finally for me saving gigantic amounts of time. Found out more in a hour w/search than looking the hard way for weeks. Likely was a Opera or my PC issue both are running better recently with a few MS OS and several opera browser updates.

The MX-3 is my daily driver now and have put about 2500k mil on her. Kinda falling for her in a strange way. Really never liked a car except my '74 nova w/ 350 eng and TH 350 trans I hot rodded a bit as much.

Know the frustration as have I helped kill hard to troubleshoot probs in threads on the Yahoo forum for many years for fellow Merc Villager & Nissan Quest (VQ) owners. Seems like same Q's get asked 100's of times a year and few read the home page or read the files. This summer with record heat following a record ice/ snow storm this winter has caused a rash of problems for people. I had saved on the older PC I lost 2 years ago some cut and paste std replies I started to use to reduce the irritation and educate quickly to manage my stress level. Made the msg's seem more gracious than I am normally in the same situation particularly with my severe migraines.
I know you likely do not get told near enough but your constant efforts are sincerely appreciated by me and others likely gritting their teeth less, wringing their hands fewer times and ironing out problems a lot faster and easier with you helping lighten their load.

I was encouraged and inspired a bit from your help even to just take a different approach to search for and find the FSM section for AC compressor overhaul and oil qty for flush out/ replacement since I am fixing my '94 RS locked up AC comp prob soon. I am old auto AC guy from about '90. The main index in the thick book says section "U" but I looked in the body electrical and found it in sub section "G" do not know why the error but have seen this and much worse in the FSM for the VQ yahoo group particularly the TPS calibration for early model 1st gen books.

My biggest problem with drive-ability is the creeping up / high idle problem affecting shifting and maybe 2nd syncro prob see other thread here http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/index.php.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”