Importing J-spec to the US?

Off-Topic Discussions
Dark_Rider2k3

Importing J-spec to the US?

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

So I just found a MINT Mazda Autozam AZ-1. It's the first gen with the gullwing doors and turbocharger. It looks downright amazing and by god I WANT TI.

But the thing is.. What's the legalities of a J-spec car in the states? Considering it's RHD and not Left.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Importing J-spec to the US?

Post by MrMazda92 »

I know you can drive it here, if that means anything to you. I had some Japanese neighbors a few years back, and they had 2 RHD cars that they drove every day.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

Your better of getting it imported to Canada and then shipped stateside. Regulations on importing cars are very strict down to making certain models install seatbelts and airbags even if they werent equiped when shipped overseas yet somehow more lax when coming in from canada. Heck look up the history of motorex and why they went south importing skylines.

Personally I ld get one and switch vin plates over from mine but thats just me... :roll:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

MrMazda92 wrote:I know you can drive it here, if that means anything to you. I had some Japanese neighbors a few years back, and they had 2 RHD cars that they drove every day.
they probably brought their car's that they owned in japan before they moved, i know it's a lot easier to do that than it is to just import a car
Calg_93GS

Post by Calg_93GS »

from what i gathered from a friend of mine who has a "sister" parts store in california, bringing in RHD cars is a pita state side, more so in cali, having it brought in from vancouver bc might be the better route

(correct me if im wrong, but i was informed that RHD cars for the most part get turned away in california ports)
Worklog
:: DIY CAI :: DIY Ground kit + Condenser :: Euro Mini Sides :: SE Leather Seats :: Kenwood Headunit w/ Custom IPod Mount ::
:: KYB GR2 w/ H&R Springs :: Drag DR-2 17x7 :: RS Raised Spoiler :: 2x12" Polk DB1222 subs w/ 800w Clarion amp ::
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

It's already state-side. Brought in from canada, and some guy in Buffalo NY has it. But didn't know the legalities in terms of using it on the road and such... and idk if it's registered in the US or not..
Calg_93GS

Post by Calg_93GS »

Dark_Rider2k3 wrote:It's already state-side. Brought in from canada, and some guy in Buffalo NY has it. But didn't know the legalities in terms of using it on the road and such... and idk if it's registered in the US or not..
only recommendation i could make then is to contact your local DMV to see whats required for the registration, and then to talk with your insurance company to see if they will even insure the car, i know here in canada alot of insurance companies are no longer offering anything more then PLPD for RHD cars as the parts for some of the jdm only cars (nissan skylines, toyota sera's ect ect) are near impossible to come buy for repair

take into consideration of course that im in canada and our laws can be very different from yours when it comes to vehicles
Worklog
:: DIY CAI :: DIY Ground kit + Condenser :: Euro Mini Sides :: SE Leather Seats :: Kenwood Headunit w/ Custom IPod Mount ::
:: KYB GR2 w/ H&R Springs :: Drag DR-2 17x7 :: RS Raised Spoiler :: 2x12" Polk DB1222 subs w/ 800w Clarion amp ::
Dali
Supporting Member

Post by Dali »

Any car that you want to import has to be 25 years or older, plus they have to pass emissions, safety and bumper which almost all japanese cars will fail. You cannot import one into Canada and then into the states, you need the certificate of origin and that can only be from north america. Pretty much if you see one it is illegal or it is from a person who moved to the US from say Japan and they have to stay a citizen for a period of time and they are not allowed to sell the car either. In other words it is almost impossible to import unless you wait the 25 years.
1993 White gs klze.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Buffalo? Ild be willing to make the trip for you and check it out if your serious thats only a 45 min trip for me and well worth it to check out a rhd :)
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Sleeper6 wrote:Buffalo? Ild be willing to make the trip for you and check it out if your serious thats only a 45 min trip for me and well worth it to check out a rhd :)
Well (and good for everyone else to know) I messgaed him about it.. and he's not so sure he wants to sell to a US customer.. I thought he was located in Buafflo, but he's on the canadian side of the border and is only interested in selling to a Canadian customer.. so unless one of you Canadians decides to buy it and sell it to me then i'm not getting it hahah.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I wonder if it's for anti-American reasons, or if it's financially motivated.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

MrMazda92 wrote:I wonder if it's for anti-American reasons, or if it's financially motivated.
anti-american. He doesn't hate the US or anything, but he says that in his years of selling to US customers, he's had nothing but problems. They will get cars from him, and then go off b----ing and all this s--- when they have trouble registering it in the states...
mazda915

Post by mazda915 »

I am also trying to do that as well get a j-spec mx here in the states
1992 gs k8ze . 4 inch tip 2.5 cat , cold air intake ,corksport front and rear stut bars home made upper pillar bar , prosport gauges,megan racing 4 pts harnest, 10,000 K HID's , ksport suspension ,
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

only 5 more years! :freak: :mrgreen:

That will be the height of my international project... sigh... one fully optioned JDM RHD Eunos Presso and one fully optioned LHD Mazda MX-3... :love:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Mooneggs wrote:only 5 more years! :freak: :mrgreen:

That will be the height of my international project... sigh... one fully optioned JDM RHD Eunos Presso and one fully optioned LHD Mazda MX-3... :love:
I'll take the LHD you get rid of :lol:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “Off-Topic”