B6 1.6 DOHC Cam timing marks

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kstarb123
antispam: No

B6 1.6 DOHC Cam timing marks

Post by kstarb123 »

Hi all,

I am replacing my cambelt at 60k and all was going well until I came to put the new belt on. The Cam timing marks are not clear in the manual and I can't seem to line them up correctly. Mine is the model where the whole rocker cover comes off, so the timing marks are set with the back plate marks E and I ( about 20 past the hour for one pulley and 20 to the hour for the other ) but when I took the old belt off, the spring force moved the cams and now I can't seem to line them up. I went for the "Set the E and I at 12 oclock but the correct markings as shown in the manual do not line up, mind you, the manual is not really clear as to where they should be set. At well as the E and I on the pulleys there is a mork but they dont line up to a certain belt tooth on the pulley, so I'm not sure where to align them.

A good clear picture would be great. Thanks everyone.

Keith

Keith
Edgar7654

Re: B6 1.6 DOHC Cam timing marks

Post by Edgar7654 »

hi i ran into the same problem as you did this video cleared all my questions its from a miata but its the same for our engines good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oovptq0q7vc
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Edgar7654 wrote:hi i ran into the same problem as you did this video cleared all my questions its from a miata but its the same for our engines good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oovptq0q7vc
that man knows his engines!!!

and he has a lot of 'em too haha.
Edgar7654

Post by Edgar7654 »

yea he does check to make sure your cams are aligned at the top too i believe they should be pointing aways from each other that was my problem and by away i mean the little teeth that push the lifters i swap cams for aftermarket and didnt switch put one correctly and it gave me a few headaches
kstarb123

Post by kstarb123 »

Grateful thanks, the video was extreemly useful and I've now completed my cambelt change.

The old one wasn't in bad shape but it had been on the car since 1995, so has served it well (car only has 56K miles though).

The most stupid thing I did was mix up the alternator and power steering belt and they are very similar in size.

So, many thanks.
Keith

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”