klze won't start no spark need help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tiluc
antispam: No

klze won't start no spark need help

Post by tiluc »

ok here is the problem i've manage to put my klze engine in my '94 mx3 and I get no fire. I've checked over and over the forum for answer but I can't find what I'm looking for. knowing the klze engine doesn't have a crank sensor below the pulley and that it's in the distributor the engine is in the car everything ready so I don't want to take it out again and open the engine. I was wondering if there is a way to keep the klze distributor. I have put my kl31 ecu and kept my je50 vaf on it.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: klze won't start no spark need help

Post by Daninski »

Oh man, ya of course you can keep it you have to do a HEI mod and add a coil for spark. for the time being why don't you just install your stock 94 disty and get the car running then do an HEI mod. By the way, the crank sensor is in the disty. :D
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=53706
http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/howto/hei/index.htm
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
tiluc

Post by tiluc »

yea but it won't make any fire tried it with my k8 ecu and the kl31 still won't make spark it cranks fine thought.
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by cWs306 »

You need your Distributor from your K8 man.. the system wont turn over your KLZE disty.. i did the same thing.. forgot to put my k8 disty onto my ze and it wouldnt get any fire :P. unless you do what dan said.. but i suggest you just use the k8 disty. and no crank angle sensor, HMMMM. they cant be that hard to install while the motors in, that side of the motor is completely open isnt it? just gotta take off that cover a bit to get in? honestly im just goin off what i think. i havent had to install or change a C.A sensor yet. hope you get it runnin soon man! good luck!
tiluc

Post by tiluc »

can you ckeck (it's just below the belt on the passenger side)my k8 had one there but my ze doesn't but i can't understand why it's not there it's just a little metal cap(the other car was running obviously)without it
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

honestly i think some ZE's just dont come with a crank angle sensor, your harness has a empty plug right? idunno if u can swap it from your old motor to the ze. someone more experienced would have to let you know about that.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Sorry my mistake, misread your post. Cam sensor is in the disty and Ya, the crank sensor is on the Lh front of the engine. Your ZE should have it. Can you take a pic and show us. Must just be missing or someone cut the wire?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

my cousins KLZE about 4 years ago didnt come with a crank angle sensor on it dan. thats why im thinking he just didnt get a ze with one.. or else yah, the person who took the engine out just cut everything and didnt realize what HAD to stay. did you have some missing plugs/cut wires on other parts of the motor?
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Early KL's only came equipped with one crankshaft position sensor in the distributor (so, yeah, even when he didn't know it, Dan was right ;)). Later on, the second CKP was installed besides the harmonic balancer.
If your original engine came with the second CKP, you will need to either install it on your new ZE, replace the ECU and harness, or get another engine. Otherwise, you will get a CEL, and probably some kind of malfunction. I don't think anybody knows exactly what the problem is gonna be, as nobody seems to know exactly what the function of the second CKP is. :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
tiluc

Post by tiluc »

this is where my crank angle sensor is on my k8 it's missing and it's supose to be missing on that ze i have the kl36 ecu still won't make any fire. did your cousin had to put one to make it spark cw??
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Yah he had to put one in, well he just did because he didnt have one and his harness had an empty plug his mx was a 92. idunno if u can use your k8 one.. check into that.. my motor came with one, and i also have a 94 mx-3 with the KL36 ecu/JE50 vaf. K8 disty.. i fired first try..
tiluc

Post by tiluc »

ok thx that help me out now my next question is did he had to put the gear too or just put the sensor in works?
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

i honestly dont know man. i never had to deal with one before. i learn as i go. you know.. sorry! message dan or something. hes pretty damn good with these cars.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

cWs306 wrote:You need your Distributor from your K8 man.. the system wont turn over your KLZE disty.. i did the same thing.. forgot to put my k8 disty onto my ze and it wouldnt get any fire :P. unless you do what dan said.. but i suggest you just use the k8 disty. and no crank angle sensor, HMMMM. they cant be that hard to install while the motors in, that side of the motor is completely open isnt it? just gotta take off that cover a bit to get in? honestly im just goin off what i think. i havent had to install or change a C.A sensor yet. hope you get it runnin soon man! good luck!
LOL I did the same thing. I went a few rounds with dan on that one but in the end it's just like he said (It's not about what is best but WHAT WILL WORK. So I did and I'll be damned if it didn't work first try to..
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

i just had a wild thought... lol do you still got 87 octane gas in your tank? KLZE's got 10:1 compression. we need 92-94 octane gas. my car struggles to turn over when i got regular gas in.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”