KLDE intake on KLZE?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: KLDE intake on KLZE?

Post by MrMazda92 »

MazdaMech wrote:I originally purchased a 93 RS in 2002/03 time frame and that is when I fell in love with the car. Sporty and unique, people asking me all the time, "What kinda car is that?" Well, I gave that car to my brother because I joined the navy, well 9 ish years later and I bought myself another and boy do old feeling come back! lol. Now all I am trying to do is learn as much as I can from the senior members here that have been messing with these cars since before I was able to legally drive (99/00). You guys are great and very helpful and I appreciate that.

My next question on this intake, If I end up with a KLDE VAF and ECU, do I have to use a EGR or is there a good company to re-program the ECU to work without the EGR? (I've heard mention of probinator chip as well) Its just that I am already planning on using the K8 headers so it will have a EGR port there, the Millenia IM has the port there, I could just use one but when people talk about KLZEs they say:

"What makes a KLZE and KLZE is the pistons, heads, and no EGR" What are your opinions guys? With block of plates and rerouted vacuum the EGR could be gone.
I'm right there with you on unique and sporty, and the confused look that crosses people's faces when you tell them what she is doubles the fun. :)

So far as I know, not a single KLZE has EGR from the factory; The J spec ECU will definitely yield you no issues there, although I do believe the DE one will need to be chipped... I'm not positive on that one, but I do have a suggestion. Have you looked into MegaSquirt by any chance? If not, I suggest you look into it! Here's the page where you will find most of the info you might need off the bat: http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/faq.htm.

Beyond that, advanced questions would be well answered and posted here: http://www.msefi.com/index.php

Good luck!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
MazdaMech
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by MazdaMech »

Daninski wrote:
MazdaMech wrote:I originally purchased a 93 RS in 2002/03 time frame and that is when I fell in love with the car. Sporty and unique, people asking me all the time, "What kinda car is that?" Well, I gave that car to my brother because I joined the navy, well 9 ish years later and I bought myself another and boy do old feeling come back! lol. Now all I am trying to do is learn as much as I can from the senior members here that have been messing with these cars since before I was able to legally drive (99/00). You guys are great and very helpful and I appreciate that.

My next question on this intake, If I end up with a KLDE VAF and ECU, do I have to use a EGR or is there a good company to re-program the ECU to work without the EGR? (I've heard mention of probinator chip as well) Its just that I am already planning on using the K8 headers so it will have a EGR port there, the Millenia IM has the port there, I could just use one but when people talk about KLZEs they say:

"What makes a KLZE and KLZE is the pistons, heads, and no EGR" What are your opinions guys? With block of plates and rerouted vacuum the EGR could be gone.
I suggest you start your own post and ask what ever questions there. No sense hijacking this post. :D Cheers
Er...?
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
2006 Chevrolet Uplander LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Rescue from a poor handler) *In work*(Body, interior, (future - KL swap))
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
1983 Honda CX-650C +parts bike
Looking at:
TRYING TO FIND A MX-3 Daily! No Luck:-(
MazdaMech

Post by MazdaMech »

MrMazda92 wrote:

I'm right there with you on unique and sporty, and the confused look that crosses people's faces when you tell them what she is doubles the fun. :)

So far as I know, not a single KLZE has EGR from the factory; The J spec ECU will definitely yield you no issues there, although I do believe the DE one will need to be chipped... I'm not positive on that one, but I do have a suggestion. Have you looked into MegaSquirt by any chance? If not, I suggest you look into it! Here's the page where you will find most of the info you might need off the bat: http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/faq.htm.

Beyond that, advanced questions would be well answered and posted here: http://www.msefi.com/index.php

Good luck!
Thanks! I will probably look into the megasquirt a bit, and buy a J-spec ECU, JapTiger has them for sale http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/details.php?id=5708 but it doesnt specify for what engine... It would not seem that they are universal, so these may still need to be programmed, maybe I will call them today and figure that out, they may have them for all there mazda engine and I just need to specify which one after, who knows? Anyway, thanks for all the help thus far. If I need more assistance on this intake issue I will post it here, if not I use the quick question thread or if it will be in-depth I will start another thread.
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Rescue from a poor handler) *In work*(Body, interior, (future - KL swap))
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
Looking at:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

You're welcome :) MegaSquirt is definitely in my to do list, although it'll be next fall/winter's big ticket item.

Tiger has been problematic for many forum members.... they tend to be unscrupulous, and might not be your best option.

Have you checked probetalk? They have a larger userbase, so they have a lot more items being purchased and sold at any given time... Their prices can be inflated a bit(They expect to profit on most of everything they buy lol), but they're selling a few ECUs atm.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
MazdaMech

Post by MazdaMech »

I'll go poke around probetalk then for an ECU. Thanks. So would they(jdmtiger) be problematic for the KLZE engines they sell too? That's were I was going to get my engine from.
Last edited by MazdaMech on August 12th, 2011, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
Looking at:
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Another place I personally wouldn't recommend buying from is engineworldusa.com I had a really bad experience with them about 5 years ago and it looks like all the reviews they've gotten are the same.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I would try to avoid Tiger personally... I haven't personally dealt with them, but I've seen enough negative feedback here and elsewhere about their engines. It seems that they like to "shine" people on, going as far as to intentionally make an engine look better than it is.

I'd feel safest buying from a member here, or Probetalk, but it's truly your decision at the end of the day. It just helps to have a name to attach the purchase to, in case of future issues.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”