That's part of the fun... :welder:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: KLDE intake on KLZE?

Post by Sleeper6 »

from what Ive heard the 95mill heads have SLA already.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Sure, but why would you put a set of used heads back in without readjusting the lash, since they probably need it anyway... Thats a terrible halfass way of doing it. Poorly adjusted SLA's will be worse than properly working HLA's.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MazdaMech

Post by MazdaMech »

Got another question, Should I get the VAF of this millenia? Im sure the new engine (KLZE) will not come with it as of its location. I know from reading other swaps that the K8 VAF gives a bad mixture, would the millenia VAF be better, I think they charge about 10 bucks for them at the JY, I can get one off the millenia or there is 2 probe gt's with KLDE's in them that I can get a VAF from. Or should I try to buy online from a jDM? Thanks for all your help guys so far.
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
2006 Chevrolet Uplander LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Rescue from a poor handler) *In work*(Body, interior, (future - KL swap))
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
1983 Honda CX-650C +parts bike
Looking at:
TRYING TO FIND A MX-3 Daily! No Luck:-(
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The Millenia uses a MAF, so it won't work

No, of course not, if you keep the K8 VAF, along with the K8 ECU, it'll thing that the motor is still the 1.8 and not a 2.5 and just get confused and run not very efficiently.

Treat it as a 2.5. If you get the ECU and VAF from a domestic KLDE OBDI car, you'll be fine. The K8 (je50) VAF is the OEM unit to work with the KL31 and KL36 JDM ECU's for the KLZE and works just the same.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:The KLG4 IM clears the brake booster better than a regular straight neck?
Indeed. The only issue most people face is the TB linkage. Although I don't understand why people don't use the straightneck IM more often. They're putting in the work to swap engines, but swapping the brake booster is too much for them...?
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ryan wrote:Sure, but why would you put a set of used heads back in without readjusting the lash, since they probably need it anyway... Thats a terrible halfass way of doing it. Poorly adjusted SLA's will be worse than properly working HLA's.
I wouldn't :lol: I don't mind the work, not one bit.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It's said that the KLG4 flows better, but I've never looked into that. Back in my day, it was said that the curved-neck flowed better than the straight-neck anyway. Besides, I hate that 90-degree bend needed anyway for the intake.

People don't use the straight-neck because it's a pain and requires extra work and parts, for nothing, IMO.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:It's said that the KLG4 flows better, but I've never looked into that. Back in my day, it was said that the curved-neck flowed better than the straight-neck anyway. Besides, I hate that 90-degree bend needed anyway for the intake.

People don't use the straight-neck because it's a pain and requires extra work and parts, for nothing, IMO.
People talk about each manifold being better than the others, but none that I have found have EVER proven anything. The closest thing to a dyno chart I've ever seen was an aftermarket example showing only MAX HP and MAX TORQUE. It showed no curve, and I certainly wouldn't dump money into aftermarket parts that aren't even adequately described/explained. I think most of it is personal preference... As for me, I think the G4 and Straightneck look the best. Performance will depend on what I do to them though, not how they look all shinied up.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
MazdaMech

Post by MazdaMech »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:The Millenia uses a MAF, so it won't work

No, of course not, if you keep the K8 VAF, along with the K8 ECU, it'll thing that the motor is still the 1.8 and not a 2.5 and just get confused and run not very efficiently.

Treat it as a 2.5. If you get the ECU and VAF from a domestic KLDE OBDI car, you'll be fine. The K8 (je50) VAF is the OEM unit to work with the KL31 and KL36 JDM ECU's for the KLZE and works just the same.
So, pull the ECU and VAF from the ProbeGT -OR- get my hands on a JDM KL31 or KL36 ECU and keep the JE50 VAF... I got that right?
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Rescue from a poor handler) *In work*(Body, interior, (future - KL swap))
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
Looking at:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

As much as new stuff is being found and discovered, tested and proven, I still see it odd that KLZE Mx-3's and even Mx6's used to run high 13's and low 14's back many years ago, and not so much anymore. Unless there's concrete proof, I'll stick to the old info that I know and let people make up their own minds...
MazdaMech wrote:So, pull the ECU and VAF from the ProbeGT -OR- get my hands on a JDM KL31 or KL36 ECU and keep the JE50 VAF... I got that right?
Exactly!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I think a huge part of the increased times is the level of care and effort people put into their builds. I see a royal S**t-ton of people swapping in DEs and ZEs, and throwing on lowering springs, but I don't see very many people talking about power steering delete, cutting 400 pounds of weight off their cars, and I'm even seeing fewer topics on intake/exhaust.

The cars are getting older, and people are moving on... It sucks to see it. It wouldn't matter if I had all the money in the world, I love the MX-3. I chose it at a time when I had enough money for something considerably faster, because I fell in love with it. It's hard to beat a truly unique car, especially one with so much potential. The pleasure I get from driving an MX-3 makes it worth it, I'd take a bone stock MX-3 over any car sold in this country in the last 41 years.

There are others who understand that, and they will probably drive their cars until either they or the car dies. I'll be there with them.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
MazdaMech

Post by MazdaMech »

I originally purchased a 93 RS in 2002/03 time frame and that is when I fell in love with the car. Sporty and unique, people asking me all the time, "What kinda car is that?" Well, I gave that car to my brother because I joined the navy, well 9 ish years later and I bought myself another and boy do old feeling come back! lol. Now all I am trying to do is learn as much as I can from the senior members here that have been messing with these cars since before I was able to legally drive (99/00). You guys are great and very helpful and I appreciate that.

My next question on this intake, If I end up with a KLDE VAF and ECU, do I have to use a EGR or is there a good company to re-program the ECU to work without the EGR? (I've heard mention of probinator chip as well) Its just that I am already planning on using the K8 headers so it will have a EGR port there, the Millenia IM has the port there, I could just use one but when people talk about KLZEs they say:

"What makes a KLZE and KLZE is the pistons, heads, and no EGR" What are your opinions guys? With block of plates and rerouted vacuum the EGR could be gone.
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
Looking at:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

MazdaMech wrote:I originally purchased a 93 RS in 2002/03 time frame and that is when I fell in love with the car. Sporty and unique, people asking me all the time, "What kinda car is that?" Well, I gave that car to my brother because I joined the navy, well 9 ish years later and I bought myself another and boy do old feeling come back! lol. Now all I am trying to do is learn as much as I can from the senior members here that have been messing with these cars since before I was able to legally drive (99/00). You guys are great and very helpful and I appreciate that.

My next question on this intake, If I end up with a KLDE VAF and ECU, do I have to use a EGR or is there a good company to re-program the ECU to work without the EGR? (I've heard mention of probinator chip as well) Its just that I am already planning on using the K8 headers so it will have a EGR port there, the Millenia IM has the port there, I could just use one but when people talk about KLZEs they say:

"What makes a KLZE and KLZE is the pistons, heads, and no EGR" What are your opinions guys? With block of plates and rerouted vacuum the EGR could be gone.
I suggest you start your own post and ask what ever questions there. No sense hijacking this post. :D Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Dan, this is HIS thread :lol:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”