Need help with my KL Swap...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
BetA_666

Need help with my KL Swap...

Post by BetA_666 »

Hi Guys

I have a really strange problem with my MX-3. And no one can find the Problem. But let me explain. 4 Years ago I have swapped my K8 to a KL-DE. The first Engine had a really poor idling and had no Power... approx. 100 HP... But when the Engine was Cold i had no Problems. Full Power and no poor Idling.
So here are the Parts i have changed and checked after the Swap:

Checked the ECU fault memory ( No Faults )
Air Flow Meter
TPS
ECU from KL59 to KL07
Complete Ignition (Cables - Distributor - Sparks)
Throttle Body
Complete Intake Manifold (used)
renewed the whole Vacuum System
Checked the Catalyst
Complete VRIS System
Fuel Filter

Nothing helped so far...
So i decided to buy a whole MX-6 with only 60.000 KM
The Engine was in a very good condition (like new). The Engine had Full Power and No problems...

So i swapped the Engine into my MX-3... Now the Engine makes the same Sh*t as my old KL... Poor idling and no Power... (No Faults on the ECU)
changed a few Parts again ;)
Fuel Pump from the MX-6
AirFlowMeter
Renewed the Engine Harness ( Distributor and MAF )
EGR from the MX-6
Changed the ECU from KL07 to KL05

Same problems... Nothing helps...

Hope you have an Idea.

Greetings from Germany
MeinAutoZerstörtDeutscheArbeitsplätze
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Need help with my KL Swap...

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm not familiar with a KL59 ECU... Other than that, it seems like you've checked the obvious things. :/

What exactly do you mean by poor idling?

Was it surging?
Stable, but high?
Stable, but low?

I'm hardly an expert, but if anything comes to mind I'll offer my help. You'll soon see replies from more knowledgeable people than I!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
BetA_666

Post by BetA_666 »

well the idling is low and unstable.
It fills up almost as if he misfires on

But i dont understand why... I mean this is the second Engine and it makes the same problems. It must be the Car it self. Because the Engine was in a really good condition and was running perfectly in the MX-6. The Only thing i have not changed are the O2 Sensors. I have 13 OHM (Heater Cables from the Sensor) and 0 OHM at the other two cables on both Sensors. But i think this is ok.

What do you think ?

Ill make a Video from Cold Start and Warm Start.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

BetA_666 wrote:well the idling is low and unstable.
It fills up almost as if he misfires on

But i dont understand why... I mean this is the second Engine and it makes the same problems. It must be the Car it self. Because the Engine was in a really good condition and was running perfectly in the MX-6. The Only thing i have not changed are the O2 Sensors. I have 13 OHM (Heater Cables from the Sensor) and 0 OHM at the other two cables on both Sensors. But i think this is ok.

What do you think ?

Ill make a Video from Cold Start and Warm Start.
the o2 sensors should make voltage when they are heated up. you can test them with a torch and multimeter and see if there in spec. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdn4Dk5PSwc

what do you mean by you renewed your wiring harness? if the motor was fine in the old car and you tried the ecu from the same car and the same sensors it was running originally it should run the same. the only thing i can think of is there may be a problem with your mx3's wiring harness.

what year is your car?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

A cold engine runs open loop while a warm engine runs closed loop so if it runs good when cold possibly check what's at fault in your closed loop. My O2 sensors were broken on a MX6 I bought and other than E test my car ran fine. Your O2 sensors should be showing between like .2 to .7 volts definitely not 0. Check here http://mr2.com/TEXT/O2_Sensor.html
Did you mean KL89?
Umm, what year is your car and what harness is in it and what intake are you using?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetA_666

Post by BetA_666 »

My MX3 is build 07.07.1992

I have the Standard Wiring Harness in it and just renewed the MAF and Distributor Harness because the plugs where slightly broken.

@Daninski

The First Ecu was a KL59 and it came with my first KL Engine.
Now iam using the KL05 from my MX-6

ECU LIST:
http://www.ford-probe-driver.de/set_red ... uergeraete

And im using the Standard KL Intake with the KL02 MAF which was all out of my MX-6

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

How's the fuel pressure? Wondering if you have a faulty pump and in saying that how much fuel is in your tank? Is the pump over heating? Can you install a pressure gauge and check it out?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”