matts 94 mx-3 gs build. MOARRRRR GOODIES

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
mx3matt
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

matts 94 mx-3 gs build. MOARRRRR GOODIES

Post by mx3matt »

ok so for ease of keeping track of everything i'm in the process of doing i figured i'd get a worklog going.
no pics yet but last november i picked up a 94 gs that had been sitting on a dealer lot for 2 1/2 years.

at this point i've installed as follows(this is the order i started instlling everything)

1.ground control and zx2 setup(new mounts front and rear)
2. new oem brakes front and rear(gonna upgrade to slotted and hawk hps pads shortly)
3. unknown twin tip muffler(it was free and sounds nice)
4. gutted interior(just driver seat)
5.mazdaspeed protege shift knob.
6. momo knock off wheel(gonna buy a omp deep dish soon)
7. i've got 17x7 ikon wheels 45 offset and bfg g-force sports225/45r17( need my 10mm and 15mm spacers and extended studs before i install)

pics tonight hopefully
right after the first test drive.
the night i lowered it on suspension techniquies springs.Image
Last edited by mx3matt on April 25th, 2012, 7:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.
mx3matt

Re: matts 94 mx-3 gs build.

Post by mx3matt »

so a couple weeks ago i picked up a klde and tranny all original out of a 93 mx-6.
ordered valve cover gasket, oil pan, timing belt and water pump, intake gaskets.

i'm gonna be installing the klde last week of july tranny will be getting an overhaul and a msp lsd then going in hopefully before the end of the track season. i'd like to megasquirt the car before winter too.

i've polished out some valve covers aqnd i've got about 4 hours into the intake manifold all by hand lol. dremel was purchased today lol.

i've got lotsa questions about the swap as this is the first swap i'm doing unassisted so bear with me ya'll.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so last night i got my headers resprayed high heat black, but i'm leaning towards wrapping my headers instead.
tonight i should have the headers fitted to the block which i have sitting on a stand. i've cleaned the block but havent decided if i'm gonna paint the block or not.

more pics
seats i picked up for free. still havent installed themImage
ground controls and zx-2's installedImage
Last edited by mx3matt on September 4th, 2011, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so i still havent had time to upload pics. i'm in the middle of what ive called a "soft rebuild".

my first serious car in a few years and i'm still a lil rusty, although pretty confident i'm still a lil nervous about having it up and running as fast as possible as this is also my daily driver, that being said i am compiling a checklist of what i'm replacing/modifiying to get it swapped and running asap.

about a month ago i picked up a klde and manual trans out of an mx-6, this is what i've purchased so far for the rebuild. i'm also going to be doing the hei mod and modding a couple things. hoping to run the k8 ecu until i get megasquirt from stratified.

1. klde motor
2.valve cover gaskets and grommets.
3.timing belt and water pump.
4. friction gear pieces.
5. oem ngk's
6. oem oil pan.
7. new drive belts
8. t-stat and gasket
9. coolant(duh)
10. gm ignition coil
11. i poly filled a front and rear mx3 motor mount and i know i'll need washers and i think longer bolts. not a big deal.
12. pacesetter headers.
i am pretty sure i'm forgetting stuff but my heads spinning already.

still need list
1. sparrk plug wires( need help deciding what to go with).
2. electric exhaust cut-out( havent decided on what exhaust to run yet)
3. i am trying to get my hands on a kl02 vaf(old stock at old work)
4.?
5.?
6.?

so i think i'm close to having it ready :) just wanna make sure i have everything in check
cuz i'm in trouble without a car. just so its clear i'll be assembling the motor on a stand myself and painting and polishing certain items and the motor will be installed by myself with assistance from my master tech at the dealership.
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

Good luck on the build. I have a 94 myself that I can't quite get off the ground. Oh by the way, we are all picture people. Post them up
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

bump trying to get the motor ready to drop in by sunday!!!!!
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so i should have my dlsr back tonight so i can finally post some pics and get figuring some ish out.

This weekend i had my son so i wasnt able to get half my list of things done i did finish grind and smoothing my intake manifold and this afternoon i'll be final prepping for wrinkle black finish( i decided not to waste my time polishing).

this summer has been a write off for my car project as a whole, my mom had her leg amputated in june so i opted to give my parents most of my savings to help with making the house more accessible, i under budgeted my car and its slowed the process down quite a bit. i'm hoping this cheque will have enough bonus to cover my intial swap costs.

i've taken a bit of a risk dumping so much money into a motor of unknown condition(looked clean havent heard it run yet.) me and a buddy are spending 3-4 nights this week installing water pump and timing belt(all idler pulleys and tensioner as well).

i did manage to strip off the rear spoiler and front lips to prep and paint moonwax style(sort off)
for 2 summers i've missed my dads ttc/united way car show so my aim is too be running and parked in the show on aug.21/2011.

so i've got a bit less then three weeks to have the motor in and running the exhaust with open pipe qtp electric cutout in and fully welded. whole car moonwaxed and if i find the time get the interior back in for the show.
i dont care if i have to push it there it will be in that show lol, not to win or anything like that.....just to say ya i finished in time lol.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Pictures pictures pictures! its like a story book with no pictures. no fun :( hahah. sounds like a nice project though man, keep it up!
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

pics tonight! just got my dslr back :)
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

oh btw, just read your list of stuff. you said pacesetter headers.. You do know the rear header has to be fitted to the motor while its already in the car. it hits the steering rack/shifter linkage.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Hey man nice to hear you put your son ahead of the build, family first right. Medical issues are always a drag but it's additionally good to hear your there for your mom/family.
Did you find a KL02 VAF yet? I checked your list of stuff you need, if anyone can help please step up, if you need that VAF I have one. Bonne Chance Mon Ami :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

Daninski wrote:Hey man nice to hear you put your son ahead of the build, family first right. Medical issues are always a drag but it's additionally good to hear your there for your mom/family.
Did you find a KL02 VAF yet? I checked your list of stuff you need, if anyone can help please step up, if you need that VAF I have one. Bonne Chance Mon Ami :D

hey man thx. good to see ppl out there looking out for me.
as for the kl02 vaf i know exactly where there is one i left it at my previous dealership when i bought it and now my d--- of an ex boss wont give it to me. so i'm gonna have to break in one night to steal it back lol.

dan how much would you part with that vaf. how much to ship to scarbs. m1h 2j4
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Sorry for cuttin into the post. i got a question about the KL02 vaf. does it give more air flow then the JE50? if so, do you guys think it would run a better A/F mixture with the KL36 ecu? i run rich right now.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The VAF's look identical, they just send different values compared to the other, but they're designed to work with the ECU it's suppose to be paired up with. Running a KL02 VAF on a K8 ECU just tricks the ECU to run a better mixture since the K8 ECU still thinks that the car is a 1.8 with 180cc injectors, but it seems to work very well.

If you're running rich, you've got other problems. Maybe the VAF is worn/bad, maybe it's bad 02 sensors, maybe it's a vacuum leak, maybe a bad coolant sensor. There's a few things that would definitely affect it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so prep work and taping is done......flat grey(gunmetal-ish) or flat black begins tomrrow at 10:30am!!!

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”