changing shifter bushings

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Haley
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

changing shifter bushings

Post by Haley »

Is there a trick to getting the linkage bolt out or is mine just being a b---- cause its rusted? I got the nut off but the bolt wont budge
Ryan

Re: changing shifter bushings

Post by Ryan »

Its just a b----, you mean the one by the trans right?

Its hit or miss if they come out... I'd thread a dye onto the bolt, and then mushroom the head beating it out, and then thread the dye off to "fix" the threads.

Use big, heavy, sledge strokes instead of peppering it with a 12oz hammer.

Expect to buy a new bolt from Mazda for a few bucks. Another lame idea. Its a square head too, so you can't break it loose that way.

Also a C clamp and a socket to fit over the head (so the bolt slides into the socket when you compress it) might work.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Haley

Post by Haley »

Thanks Ryan,
I was actually talking about the one at the bottom of the shifter. It turned out it was just seized in there, had to heat it up to get it out. Its done now though and I didnèt even bother with the other 2. Made a huge differenfe in the shifter just from those two. I did buy new bolts as well so now I still have the front ones that I might get to eventually.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Are you doing the 3rd link as well? I need to do mine, but I haven't found the motivation for such a small gain yet.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Haley

Post by Haley »

After that i doubt it. The shifter is great now...on to other things.
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

It is only a gain if your bushings are completely shot, but mine were and replacing them was easy if you are already taking everthing else apart.

http://atlantamx3.com/mocaforum/viewtopic.php?t=2317
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

ccreech wrote:It is only a gain if your bushings are completely shot, but mine were and replacing them was easy if you are already taking everthing else apart.

http://atlantamx3.com/mocaforum/viewtopic.php?t=2317
I replaced the other 2 and shortly thereafter regained 3/4" slop side to side, zero for and back. I knew it was the 3rd link when I double checked the other two, and even carefully bent the jaws of the linkage to fit the bushings/shifter perfectly snug without grinding. That helped a tiny bit, but it's definitely 3rd link wiggle. :(
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
stevesei

Post by stevesei »

I'm going to post a shifter rebuild suggestion. Take a look!
Steve Seiter
Blue '92 GS, Milly square-port DE with stainless headers, Stoker100 chip, HEI/Blaster conversion,
2.25" exhaust, High flow cat, ZX-2 shocks, short shifter, urethane front bushings, 17x7s with 595 Evos
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

stevesei wrote:I'm going to post a shifter rebuild suggestion. Take a look!
Nice post
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
stevesei

Post by stevesei »

See my post about 3rd link bushings. Replacing makes a huge improvement, and there are other things you can do at the same time.
Steve Seiter
Blue '92 GS, Milly square-port DE with stainless headers, Stoker100 chip, HEI/Blaster conversion,
2.25" exhaust, High flow cat, ZX-2 shocks, short shifter, urethane front bushings, 17x7s with 595 Evos
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

stevesei wrote:See my post about 3rd link bushings. Replacing makes a huge improvement, and there are other things you can do at the same time.
Where is it?
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Far anyone attempting this job.
Simply spray the bolts with penetrate then after a bit use a C clamp and press the bolts out, works like a charm. I have also had great success using a pneumatic impact chizzel.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”