Summer heat!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
jbud1291

Summer heat!

Post by jbud1291 »

So far this summer, the heat has been brutal here in jersey. For the past couple weeks its been above 90 degrees alllllll dayyyyy everyyy dayyy lol and i just feel so bad when i drive my car because i feel like im killing it in all of this heat. I try my best to not get on the gas too much since i dont want to make the car hotter than it already is.....

Have you guys maybe found something that has helped your car run cooler? Ive been researching and alot of it is a bunch of bs about buying a bigger radiator which for one is not in my budget and two if i remember correctly a bigger radiator does not make the car run cooler it just increases its cooling capacity. One thing that does sound positive that ive found is this stuff called Engine Ice? Im thinking i might give it a try but any other ideas would be great.
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
DeadMaker
antispam: No

Re: Summer heat!

Post by DeadMaker »

Do you know in which temperature engines run?
The full open temperature on thermostat in b6de is 100 Celsius.
Now i don't think that you live there with this situation..Otherwise you would be dead.LOL
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

You can add additive to coolant to make it run a little cooler, park your car under carport/shade, anything helps.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I've used Water Wetter and noticed it helped the car run a little cooler... are you talking about bad stop and go traffic? Other than that you should be fine if your cooling system is working correctly.
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

Well theres not too much traffic around here unless i drive to the shore but even then i go at night time so theres not too many people on the road...and yes my coolant system is running correctly ive been staying on top of it since its so hot. I actually just flushed the whole thing out and ran 30% water and 70% coolant and noticed a difference in the temperature.
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

What would be the best water/coolant mix for hot weather?
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

where i live the summers get to +35 celcius sometimes even hotter. and winters hit -40 or lower alot. i run a 50/50 mixture 365days a year. like mooneggs said, as long as your cooling system is working correctly and u got no burps left in your system your car will be perfectly fine.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Deadmaker is right. Your engine is designed to run at a temperature much higher higher than the ambient temperature outside. If you cooling system is running properly your car will maintain the operating temp it was designed to regardless of the outside temperature.

And just because you brought it up...installing a larger/more efficient rad allows the cooling system to shed more heat energy, but the thermostat is what determines the operating temperature so a bigger rad only makes the cooling system work faster. When the coolant gets up to the opening temp of the thermostat and coolant starts to flow through the rad, a bigger rad will bring the engine temp down to the closing temp of the thermostat faster. So you're right..but that's why.

Water wetter and Engine Ice do the same thing as a big rad would do but they do it by making the coolant more efficient at absorbing and shedding heat. The specific heat of a substance is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1kg of that substance by 1ºC. Coolant has a much higher boiling point than water because it takes much more heat to raise the temperature of coolant than water. It loses heat faster than water as well. Water Wetter raises the specific gravity of the cooland mixture so that it can absorbe and shed more heat.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”