CEL turns on and off whenever it feels like it

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Letters11
antispam: No

CEL turns on and off whenever it feels like it

Post by Letters11 »

About 2 weeks ago, some water got in my alternator and it caused it to stall and not start. After drying out everything was fine, started right up, no charge needed or anything like that. A few days later, my check engine light came on while going up a hill, i pushed the clutch to shift and it went out. A couple days later I was driving on the highway and it came on, i shifted and it went out. Same thing happened the next day. I dont know if this was a coincidence or not?? This morning it went on and off 5 times on an 8 mile trip. It stayed on for about 5 seconds each time. My car seems to be running fine until I come to a stop and it bogs alot more than it did (suprised it stays running). I already read something about the light going on and off being a soft code?? Or something along those lines. I pulled the codes and got code 16, something with the EGR valve?

Any help is appreciated as I would like to try and get to this problem before it is too late. Thanks
wytbishop

Re: CEL turns on and off whenever it feels like it

Post by wytbishop »

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... F2-085.gif

Troubleshooting procedure for code 16. All you need is a multi-meter and some long leads.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Letters11
antispam: No

Post by Letters11 »

hopefully this will be the last time im posting about this problem. the diaphram in the egr valve moved as if it was supposed to. I started the car up and lifted the diaphram and the car almost died and when i let it back down it was fine. Also, the small hose that connects to the front of the stock airbox, i have an aftermarket so mine just hands there, had something jammed in the front of it. I removed this and since then its been fine. No check engine light and no rough running anymore. I dont know what it was.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

That hose is the vent hose that opens the EGR. If it was plugged that was the problem.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”