kfze timing belt snapped

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nlsolja123

kfze timing belt snapped

Post by nlsolja123 »

I plan on retiming and putting a belt on this weekend,,, is there anyway tge valves could contact the pistons? I dont want to remove the heads due to no head gasket availability...

Is this a interference engine????
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: kfze timing belt snapped

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

All Mazda "B" and "K" engines are non interference.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Pritchett
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Pritchett »

My old K8 had a waterpump leak, Which weakened the timing belt. It snapped at 7000+rpm in 1st gear. After a new timing belt and waterpump the car ran great...well as good as it did before anyway :)
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

My concern us that its a KF . And the 10.1 compression.....if its a timing belt and no valve damage I'd like to put in some klde cams
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

pop your valve cover off first and inspect your cams, You might already have the ones from the ZE as some Kf's came with and some came with you, so if you do have them, you'll only hurt you're performance, that and kl cams won't do anything anyway to a kf engine.

And you do not have to worry about your valves being damaged.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

my KLZE tming snapped while driving in the worst possible ways. THere's no way you'd have damage if mine didn't royally eff up.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

SuperK wrote:my KLZE tming snapped while driving in the worst possible ways. THere's no way you'd have damage if mine didn't royally eff up.
How many km was on your timing belt when it snapped?
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
Inodoro Pereyra

In December '09 I bought an MX-6 "M Edition", in almost mint condition, for $300, because its timing belt had snapped, so the owner assumed the engine was gone.
Towed it home, and when I opened the timing belt cover, I realized the belt hadn't snapped, but the idler bolt had sheared off. Got a new belt, and reassembled, but I made a mistake, and used the wrong timing marks to align the cam sprockets, effectively getting the right bank cams almost 180 degrees off. When I turned the ignition key, even with the wrong timing, a tankful of 1+ year old gas, and after the car had been sitting under a tree for more than 1 1/2 year, the car started at the first try (with a new battery, of course). The car drove (badly), for months (and sheared the idler bolt twice), before I realized my mistake with the timing. Once I did, even after all those problems, and all those miles working with the rear bank completely off timing, I redid the timing using the right marks, and the engine started working perfectly from the get go.

So, two things are clear from that story:

1. K engines are rugged beyond belief.

2. Unless you drop a valve (which has nothing to do with the timing), there's NO WAY you will damage your engine because of a timing issue.

Pritchett: My 6 had 109000 miles when I bought it, and the timing belt was new, so I assume the previous owner had it replaced, and made the same mistake I made with the timing, and then sold the car, thinking the engine was history. Mazda recommends replacing the timing belt every 100000 miles (160000 Km), although I know some people had kept going for twice that mileage without issue. Either way, if you're close to the 160000 Km mark, I'd recommend you replace it. It's cheap insurance against getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. Just make sure you do the timing right. ;)

Diogenes of Sinope.
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

I put a new water pump and the new timing belt from my last engine which got fewer then 10 km on it, onto my new motor. So I'm hoping I'll be good for the life of the engine.
99 silverado
Inodoro Pereyra

Well, that depends on the life of the engine... :lol: :lol:

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”