Lookin' a 2-hole radio facia ....

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Stincey

Lookin' a 2-hole radio facia ....

Post by Stincey »

My mx-3 has an oldish Kenwood KCR fitted - and I'm adding a hard-disk mp3 player (mStation) alongside. Upon taking the center console off I found that the facia is one large plate. It has a hole for a tape/cdr unit in the top DIN slot and then a blank plate covering the second DIN slot. I'm not even sure what this piece of plastic is called... <P>I've been checking local breaking yards with no luck - not a lot of mx-3's in Northern Ireland!. Contacted my local mazda dealer - and they can source only another single hole facia - for a measly £21+vat (~36 USD). Don't fancy having to take a hack saw to it. :)<P>Any ideas where I can get a 2-hole version - or a part number ?<P><BR>All info appreciated!
Maddbuck

Re: Lookin' a 2-hole radio facia ....

Post by Maddbuck »

in the north american version of the cars we have two din slots for the radio. if you got the cd option it was fitted above the radio, etc. if not most people have the little din tray/pocket thingy (dunno what it is called) under the radio. dunno if this helps. are you wanting to cover both dins or just the one?<BR> :roll:
Stincey

Post by Stincey »

Mine has 2 DIN slots alright. A black blanking plate is over both of them - and it has a radio-sized slot in the top DIN. I'm looking a facia plate with 2 slot holes - as I want to use 'em both now. Before I took the dash apart I'd thought the lower DIN would have it's own easily removed plate - but it's all one bit of plastic for both. :)<P>If you think it'd help, I can try to get a picture of my dash to show what I'm after.
white fish

Post by white fish »

I'm not sure what your saying but heres what I did the top Din slot for my radio of course<BR>and the bottom din opening I bought a cup holder from a junked Ford taurus and it has a coin holder and cup holder both together is Din size I cut the coin holder part out and installed my half din EQ<P>I not sure if that helps I'm kinda lost on this post [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

so if you take the plate off, you have one double din sized hole? ie no thin bar between the two dins. on ours the bottom din cover/shelf thingy pops out and all you do is slide in the new aftermarket radio's metal bracket. a picture would help. <P>here is a detailed description of what we have. there is the outside plastic dash cover the goes over the vent control panel, it has the double din hole, holds some blank button and the cig lighter and goes doen to the ash tray. underneath that is the dash plastic structure. it holds a double din bracket where the radio slides into. if you have an aftermarket radio you slide the metal bracket into the din slot and bend back the tabs to hold it in place and you can do the same for the bottom. at the back/bottom of this there is a hole for the rubber stopper to go into that came with the stock radio. there is one for each slot. sorry this is long but maybe it would give you an idea if yours looks the same. email a picture it would help, you can get my email from my profile. :roll:
Stincey

Post by Stincey »

To answer your first paragraph - there is 2 DIN slots - seperated with a thin piece of metal. It's the plastic plate/cover for these 2 slots is the prob I'm having. In your description, the bottom one is easily removed to fit a new unit, but when I took mine apart it seems that plate was joined to the top one and couldn't be removed as then neither unit would have anything to fasten their front facias unto.<P>When I'm off on Friday I plan to get it all apart again to definitely make sure I'm not just going mental. I'm starting to wonder if maybe once I unscrew the plate it comes apart in 2 pieces or something now. I'll try to get a loan of a digital camera to take some snap shots over Easter if I'm sane. :)
Stincey

Post by Stincey »

Seems all that confusion was in vain. :)<P>Cheers, anyways guys.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”