Sunroof mod who has done it and was it worth it?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
specialtyneed
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Sunroof mod who has done it and was it worth it?

Post by specialtyneed »

If you have done the install on this model car I want to hear from you.
There is what appears to be a factory sunroof in the 94 MX-3 RS in the salvage yard in good condition.
I want to hear about difficulty level, wiring issues and if there is a FAQ with some measurements and other info on the mod buried somewhere I have not seen.
94 MX-3 L4 1.6L B6-DE DOHC MT F25M-R Silver Ext Blk Int 181k mi disty mod to ext style done. Worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77306&hilit=specialtyneed&start=0
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Re: Sunroof mod who has done it and was it worth it?

Post by mikeinaus »

search. its been covered a few times. as far as i know you need to cut out the roof, plumb in drain lines and wire everything up. its alot more work then it sounds. i wouldnt attempt it unless your sure you want it and are comfortable hacking up your body...
specialtyneed

Post by specialtyneed »

I have never been able to get the search engine on this site to ever get a single search hit.

I am a automotive mechanic who runs a maintenance service business with 3 employees and sell cars on occasion with 26 years of experience. Also am a aircraft structure & systems mechanic with 15 years of aircraft experience on heavy overhaul heavy structure and other mods including the winglets on two fleets (737 & 757) extensive training and experience on these fleets 757, 767, 737 and 777 Boeing aircraft and DC10-10/-30 & MD11 by McDonnell Douglas. I work for what was the largest airline in the world a few years ago at their largest major maintenance base with 7000 other mechanics. I also have avionics training besides my A&P Degree. So we are not afraid of the work. We just want to know what I am into on the factory wiring, power tap, relay (if needed) location, control locations and the drain like you mentioned. I believe in doing my homework. We want a trouble free oem type installation.
Last edited by specialtyneed on June 19th, 2011, 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
94 MX-3 L4 1.6L B6-DE DOHC MT F25M-R Silver Ext Blk Int 181k mi disty mod to ext style done. Worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77306&hilit=specialtyneed&start=0
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

specialtyneed wrote:I have never been able to get the search engine on this site to ever get a single search hit.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
specialtyneed

Post by specialtyneed »

Thanks for posting the links. I have yet to get the search engine to respond with any hits. It must be something in my default profile or the Opera browser I use.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

specialtyneed wrote:Thanks for posting the links. I have yet to get the search engine to respond with any hits. It must be something in my default profile or the Opera browser I use.
asking your question in google with mx3 at the end. chances are it will find whatever info is on this site. i find the sites search is almost useless...
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I bought a glass for a sunroof thinking it would fit my gs, its smaller. :(

It came from an rs so if you want it for dirt cheap let me know.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
specialtyneed

Post by specialtyneed »

Am interested.
Let me know exactly brand and model what it is, etc and I will let you know. Is it just glass or entire aftmkt pop up type kit?

Sorry its been a while I have been fixing our minivan lost a engine due to FOD strike to oil filter. Just got her running today after engine swap out from wrecked '96 (not our fault).

Just got man trans due to quirky 2nd gear off a '93 RS with SOHC 88 hp engine. I really hope its the same trans (F25M-R in the '94 RS) as the 107 hp DOHC '94 RS. Anyone know for sure?

Also got good AC compressor, throttle cable (is sticky in am) and other parts for '94 RS 1.6 DOHC MX-3 today at half off LKQ salvage yard self service sale.

So will be active again here for awhile. The Man trans also does not want to go into reverse but its due to high idle if I get RPM down by going into 2nd and letting out clutch some and hit R fast before she creeps up in RPM it shifts good into R.

I have a high idle problem with the '94 RS have adjusted it down w/ air screw twice but it seems to be increased by the computer &/or the idle switches to about 1600 rpm and causes drive-ability shifting problems likely due to idle speed throwing off the syncros with the trans. Anyone what is happening here? Have not had time to troubleshoot idle yet. Otherwise she drives great. Trans really likes a fast clutch action and fast early shifting if you are lazy or hang and work clutch slow it wants to miss gears and have to double clutch like syncros get out of time.
specialtyneed

Post by specialtyneed »

On a happier note the search is getting hits and good ones at that now.
Do not know why it is fixed but its working great.
I will not be needing help finding things now.
Thank you to all who helped me searches.
Opera has had a few upgrades since then.
Just guessing that may be it.
Shaun
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I think it's the search feature, or at least partially so.

I use google, as was suggested earlier in this thread :D It pulls up oooollllddd posts too.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
burgess

Post by burgess »

i didnt do the mod but the guy i bought the car off did all i can say is it doesnt leak and is the first car ive been in without a leaking sunroof which is a surprise because its the only car ive been in with a aftermarket sunroof.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”