Top Speed Header

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SCHIMMLE

Top Speed Header

Post by SCHIMMLE »

There has been a lot written about SSAUTOCHROME headers and OBX, but I've yet to see any information about TopSpeedHeaders.
They do appear quite cheap and I've looked at reviews from a lot of different forums. The over all opinion seems to be quite favorable with quality and price. I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience with their fitment. They are obviously made for the MX6 and Ford Probe but are they compatible with our body frames etc. So by all means if you have any information please share.
Pritchett
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Top Speed Header

Post by Pritchett »

I just ordered a set of speed daddy's from ebay. $90 for the pipes, $80 for shipping, brokerage fee ??

These are the last thing I need to get before I can install my new ZE....Can't wait!!
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I'm not familiar with these... links? pics? I'm guessing if they are made for the MX-6/Probe you will have the normal fitmet issues of the SS autochrome/pacesetter depending on the design so I would say be prepared to chop them up either a little or a lot :shrug:
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

you will definitely need to cut 8" or 9" off your exhaust to make those fit. whether they will clear the cross member youll have to wait and find out.
SCHIMMLE

Post by SCHIMMLE »

I've basically gutted the whole car and put basically all different/new parts back in. I'm going to custom the exhaust from the header back so I'm not worried about the chopping off of 9 inches. I'm worried about the flange to the engine and the crossmember clearance is all. Hopefully someone has had experience. As for pictures I don't have any. There isn't one available on their site, Grr!
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Those are all SSAutoChrome headers, just rebranded, which are in turn a replica of I believe the hot shot headers from back in the day. There are basically only 2 headers now: SSAutoChrome or PaceSetters. PaceSetters are the best for performance.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

Adjusting the length is not an issue for me, as I'm going to run a 2.5" pipe all the way back. I specifically went with these for the 2.5" outlet. I spent a week or so listening to vids on YouTube with klze's and different exhaust combinations and I prefer the 2.5 over the stock(duh) and 2.25 options.
Clearing the crossmember I never considered, what's needs to be done? right now I just want to mount the 2 headers, so I can install the motor before I start to forget where things go..lol
99 silverado
SCHIMMLE

Post by SCHIMMLE »

^^ Thank you. That's basically the answer I was looking for.

^ Please let me know how yours turn out!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Those headers look like the same kit I bought in 2008. I didn't like how close the pipe was to the oil pan so I simply installed an extra flange between the crossover pipe and the manifold pipes (X2). That brought them down about 1/4 of an inch more in clearance from the oil pan. I had no issues with the cross member but you will need to bend them a little to get them to fit but no biggy. I installed the manifold pipes on the engine and the cross over pipe after the engine was installed.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

Thanks Dan, that's pretty much my plan, I just want to install the pipes to the engine so I don't have to fool around with it when it's in the car. After I get it running and insured again I'll limp it to a muffler shop to complete the setup.

Do you have any pics of your extra flange? Installed I mean.
99 silverado
SCHIMMLE

Post by SCHIMMLE »

By any chance do you have any pictures? Top or bottom? Yeah...what ^ he said. :lol:
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

from what ive read the fitment issues arnt of a design flaw but a lack of consistency in the actual product. ive herd of crooked manifolds, too short manifolds that need spacers like dans, and ones that are a bit too long and sit on or are blocked by the cross member. or... it might not even be the crossmember, im talking about that steel plate with 4 bolts that runs from side to side behind the transmission...
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

SCHIMMLE wrote:By any chance do you have any pictures? Top or bottom? Yeah...what ^ he said. :lol:
Sorry sold the car two years ago however. If you go to any muffler shop and ask for a 3 hole flange they should know what you mean. It's a plate of steel about 1/4 of an inch thick (diameter of the hole to match your exhaust size) that you install where the manifold pipes bolt to the crossover pipe.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

So I tried mock installing my y-pipe to the installed headers. I connected it to the rear header first and the front pipe was 5-8" toward the passenger side of the front header. I tried bending it by hand with only muscle but it was a no go. It sat fine between the cross member and the body of the car. It does fit fairly snug next to the oil pan, however if I add flange spacers, I'm not sure how the cross member will like it. Oh well thats why theres muffler shops I guess.
99 silverado

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”