U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Haley
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: new twist....jeez

Post by Haley »

Ok so heres what happened....
Managed to get the sensor changed...bit of a nightmare because when putting the bolt back in it broke....
anyway...its done.
So today I start the car up, no codes, but idling and revving like crap....misfiring I think. I can hear little poofs from the exhaust. I take it for a short test run, runs ok but not great. Get home, sit in the driveway listening to it sputter...
Its smooth if I gently roll on the accelerator, but if I give it a bit of a kick it sputters.
Checked the plugs, they are ok at the tip but oily on the threads.
Could this be because the ecu needs a long run to get used to the new settings (from a working sensor). My question mark doesnt work so bare with me...
And a question...to change the spark plug seals do I have to take the valve covers off.
I cleaned the disty connectors, but they looked spotless to begin with.
mxmikey
antispam: No

Post by mxmikey »

The seal for the spark plugs is part of the valve cover gasket, so you do have to remove it, if oil is on the plugs that would prevent it from firing correctly.
Hmmm...never heard of it.
Where do you hook it up?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SNAP-MT2 ... 645wt_1165

That is the adapter for Mazda OBDI it hooks up to the diagnostic box, behind the battery and it fits over the half towards the passenger side. The other part of the adapter hooks up to the scanner, and there is a little port on there for the a jumper cable to hook up to the battery (not until OBDII did the ports receive power for scanners). It is extremely hard to find pre OBDII scanners Asian scanners outside of ebay. Also sorry Haley for bringing your topic off topic.
93 GS/SE
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Thanks Mickey. :D

Haley: what you're describing sounds a lot like a vacuum leak to me.
Now, that may mean you're either very lucky, or very unlucky.

First, let's see if you're a lucky girl. Reach in the back of the air filter box, right underneath the accordion tube. You should find a small vacuum hose connected to the box. If it is connected, disconnect it and check it for cracks, and connect it back. If it's disconnected, connect it. See if the engine is running properly.

If that's not the problem, your luck may have just run out. Sorry.
There is a way to check for vacuum leaks using propane. I'm personally not a fan of it, but it does work, if you do it properly. It implies running a propane source (could be a lighter, or a propane torch) leaking propane along each vacuum hose, with the engine running. The engine will rev up when you hit the leak.
I'm personally more a fan of just replacing all the vacuum hoses for new ones. Now, here's the bad news: There's 19 ft. of vacuum hose in a K engine (ask me how I know :(), and most of it is very inaccessible, either in the back of the engine (between it and the firewall) or underneath the intake manifold. There's also a little plastic container underneath the IM (right between the intake runners). BE VERY CAREFUL with that container, as its fitting cracks very easily, and the hose that goes to it is usually rock hard.

Either way, if you're careful, you shouldn't have any major problems. It took me about 4 hours to replace all the vacuum hoses in my MX-6 (including several trips to the auto parts store), so make sure you have the time before you start. And try to find somebody to give you a massage after you're done. You're gonna need it. :)

Diogenes of Sinope.
Haley

Post by Haley »

So I checked my plugs last night, a couple were not in tight enough, so tightened them up. My negative battery connector was loose also, needed a new bolt and nut...did that, got her nice and tight.
This morning I was paranoid about driving it but figured I had to take my chances. ....ran like a charm, no cel, no stuttering, no problems.....
ahhhh...relief.
The only thing I"m concerned about now is the plugs. Oily around threads and white at the tips...like new plugs...maybe running too lean.
The guy I bought it from had put a k and n filter in it, so there is no top to the air box, is the cone filter. So I'm thinking its getting too much air, not enough fuel cause of that. is there a simple adjustment I can do (ex: air idle screw)?
You guys are the best...couldn't have done this without you!!
Haley

Post by Haley »

Yes, his analyzer thingamabobber is a snap-on with adapters for different makes.
Not that it matters now, but just fyi. They do exist.
I'm sorry, I cant remember everyones names yet, but to the guy who mentioned about leaving the wire in the diagnostic box...yep...did that at one point, but took it out shortly after. That was a real 'DOH!" moment.
Ahhh...live and learn...I'll pick up the quirks of these little cars soon enough. The engines are in there so tight, hard to get to a lot of stuff but where theres a will theres a way.
Inodoro Pereyra

So now it's running ok? If it is, don't touch it, unless you see a symptom that something is gonna go sideways soon.
You say the spark plugs are white "like new". What do you mean? Can you post a pic?
If they're not corroded, and the porcelain is in good shape, I'd leave them alone. Don't worry about the oil on the threads. As long as you don't have oil inside the cylinder, you're ok. Later on you can change the valve cover gaskets, if you feel like it (if you do, read Ryan's post on replacing the friction gear springs before you do. I'd highly recommend you to replace them when you open the valve covers, so you don't have to do the job twice, if they fail later).
Finally, don't worry about the K&N filter, the ECU should compensate for the extra air (that's what the VAF is for). Just remember to wash it every now and then.

Diogenes of Sinope.
Haley

Post by Haley »

I mean the plugs look like they were just put in....the ceramic is still white.
I figure I'm going to leave the valve cover gasket for later, its not leaking or anything so I'd rather just leave it alone. Like you say, its running good, leave it alone. Just dont want it to seize on me cause its too lean.
The guy I bought it from did say the plugs and wires were new, so really they've only got a few thousand km on them.
Inodoro Pereyra

Don't worry then. Shiny plugs (and especially white porcelain) mean perfect combustion.
For once, the guy who sold you the car didn't lie. He did put new plugs in it. :)

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

All I have to say is, your level of awesome raises the bar for other females.

My girlfriend doesn't know which way a spark plug goes in, nevermind that there is ceramic involved. Good thing I don't have any expectations of her becoming my mechanic :lol:
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Loose ground post...that's wierd.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Haley

Post by Haley »

Aww...thanks Ryan.
Yeah, I had my own motorcycle shop a couple years ago, can take a bike apart and rebuild it fairly easily.....but cars...I'm just learning.
But the basics are the same so it helps.
I'm a single mom, with a not so good paying job so I cant afford to have a shop do the work for me....have no choice but to learn to do it myself....thank god for the internet and guys like you!
tripleMX-3chicMS
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by tripleMX-3chicMS »

so mxmikey & Haley both have GS SE's???? I need pics... ( :

De
92 GS automatic (WHITE w/ full on Zebra interior) My Morning DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) My Evening DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) Working On (pics soon)
93*4 GS SE's for parts ONLY*
Every day is a good day to be a girl.... hehehe
my feedback: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50&start=0"
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Haily you can try snugging down the valve cover bolts a little as over time the gasket looses it's flexibility. Remember I said just snug and follow the manual for proper 'snugging' pattern. http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... B2-032.gif
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Haley

Post by Haley »

I'm not sure mine is an SE....??? Dont the SE models have leather interior? Mine doesn't. I have all the other bells and whistles, air, cruise, moonroof, power everything....but cloth interior. How do you tell?
I will check the valve cover bolts...thanks for the link!
My bigger issue right now is the original problem before my crank sensor went.
The idle is crazy. Its ok for a while, but after driving for a while (1/2 hour or so) it revs up to 3 grand if its in gear even with the clutch in at a stop, and if I take it out of gear, it bounces from 1200 to 2000 up and down until I start moving, then jumps to 3000. I dont even have to touch the accelerator and it goes. Once I get it into about 3rd gear and give her a bit, she settles back to normal....until I stop again.
How weird is that? I"m actually wondering if it is clutch related.
Any ideas?
Annoying cause its running great other than that.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”