help with clutch issue.

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
rajekaje
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

help with clutch issue.

Post by rajekaje »

Ok so it got really cold here the other day and I had trouble getting my car to start. Once things warmed up i got right outside the next day and started it up without issue. However after this my clutch pedal will not engage. It is just very loose and will not allow me to shift. I'm not super tech savvy so I'm not sure exactly what all could be the issue here. Not sure if something might have frozen up during the bout with the cold or what. I haven't had any previous issues with my clutch and it has only been a few years since it was replaced. I haven't noticed any slipping or trouble shifting at all prior to this. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
muttpower
antispam: No

Re: help with clutch issue.

Post by muttpower »

Check for leaks first. The Flex line could have had condensation in it, and when it froze and thawed, caused it to split. When you check for leaks, have someone else press the clutch pedal in as you look, this way the hydraulic system is charged and any leaks would be more visible.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If you follow the hydraulic pipe down to the slave cylinder you can actually see it extend and retract as the pedal is depressed. There are many reasons why your clutch pedal could lose firmness.

blown master cylinder seal
blown slave cylinder seal
cracked hard line
leaking flex line
broken throw out arm (unlikely but has happened)
broken throw out bearing

Check for leaks first. Make sure that the master is getting fluid from the brake reservoir. Make sure that the throw out arm is moving when the pedal is depresed. If the arm does move when the pedal is depressed, wiggle it with your hand. If it feels like it's not connected to anything that would indicate the bearing may have come apart. Worst case would be that the pressure plate springs have desintegrated. If everything else seems to be alright, you would have to separate the tranny from the engine to insepct it.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

If the slave is moving, but the clutch still will not disengage, you could have a bent clutch fork or even a broken fork pivot bolt (I actually had the pivot bolt sheer once.... very odd). I also seen the clutch fingers get bent or not move correctly b/c of poor torquing of the pressure plate bolts.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
garren1138

Post by garren1138 »

it sounds like the lines have a leak or something like said above.

when I had air in my lines it felt just the way you described.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

please don't post dredge, that was almost 2 months ago ;)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

^^^Image
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.

Return to “Transmissions”