95 automatic mx-3, grinding/whistling noise

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Patass

95 automatic mx-3, grinding/whistling noise

Post by Patass »

I initially posted this in the suspension forum but a user there has pointed me this way, which now has be seriously concerned, cause transmission is a lot more expensive than anything suspension related (I think).

The gist of it is, that after I hit 30 mph, a loud grinding noise starts up ONLY when I'm maintaining speed. If I take my foot off the pedal, it stops. If I push it down to accelerate, it stops. Only when I'm lightly holding it in to maintain my speed/accelerate lightly, does this noise kick in. It's been whistling for a long time, but my car has all kinds of rattling noises so I thought nothing of it. Now the whistling and grinding seem linked. It does not happen in neutral, and I'm unable to test it in reverse, because, well, I'm not going to go over 30 mph in reverse. Idling and everything else there are no strange noises.

I'm now driving in a way that nearly eliminates the noise (rapidly accelerating and then coasting) because I fear for the thickness of my wallet. What do you recommend? The fluid is this purple/bright red color and does not smell burned.
garren1138

Re: 95 automatic mx-3, grinding/whistling noise

Post by garren1138 »

well If you do need a new transmission one from a junk yard isnt' that expensive. just go to car-part.com and you can shop around for a cheap one.
Patass

Re: 95 automatic mx-3, grinding/whistling noise

Post by Patass »

like, 500 bucks, two states away. :-(

Return to “Transmissions”