ground control install

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
mx3matt
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

ground control install

Post by mx3matt »

so i installed ground control's and ford racing struts 2 days ago, since the installed i have noticed what sounds like possible front wheel bearing noise, also when i'm going approx. 30km/h or faster when i make a left turn i get serious vibration front the same passenger side front wheel. anyone else come across this similar issue?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: ground control install

Post by Daninski »

Check your wheel nuts?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Make sure you properly tightened your strut mount nuts and the strut nut in the center. I ususally use air to tighten the strut nut since it spins, so if you do not have a compressor take the car to a oil change shop and pay the guy 5 bucks to hit them with air.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

wheel nuts are definetly torqued down properly, but thinking about it i'm definetly gonna have check the top mount bolt. took it for a 400 km drive in the rain last night out to st.catherines, ther then i bad wheel bearing she feels awesome on the highway. i believe my cv's may be binding cuz theres a vibration around50-60km/h when you hit full throttle theres a lot of vibration.
garren1138

Post by garren1138 »

hahaha I totally forgot to tighten down my lugs one time... I thought I was gonna lose the tire and wouldn't you know I left my tire iron at home. :roll:
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so i know i'm always gonna have some noise to deal with on a ground control hybrid set up, but it sounds like my front suspension isnt even bolted down! the car is as low as it can go without cutting the perches. under full acceleration i have crazy vibration that i have read is the cv axles binding.

i checked all the bolts everythings tight so i'm hoping this isnt how its gonna sound. haev to admit when its not clunking, its probably the best handling chassis i've had in a long friggin time.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

So turns out my car was so low that my lower strut perches were rubbing on the front strut towers lol. Never had a car low enuff to do that, so temporarily I cut the part of the perch that rubbing. the vibration when turning was still there so after taking another look I realized that my passenger side cv axle is pooched.

The inner axle boot was ripped and spewing grease everywhere. So on tuesday I'll pick up an axle. Now that it's getting warm my syncros are grinding in 1st, 2nd,3rd. I just wish it would run smooth for 1 no problems lol.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

So tomorrow Should be a pretty exciting day. I'm gonna have to get a worklog started.

I'll be hopefully picking up a set of upgraded shafts from a local rebuilder. How upgraded they are I'm not really sure, but because I work for Mazda I'm getting a great deal. So tomorrow nights list is as follows.

1. Install new upgraded shafts.
2. Install hawk hp plus pads and own rotors on fronts.
3. Flush brake fluid.
4. Install new 225/45r17 bfg g-forces
5. Check for wheel spacer clearance. Hoping for the perfect stance lol.
6. If I have any time left, get my seat brackets measured so I can get my reclinable Tom motorsports seats in.

7. If needed roll fenders lol.
8. Fix front upper strut mounts and install front and rear strut bars.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

ok so wheels rub......bad.

i honestly didnt check the offset of the wheels, i have fender clearance but my tire actually just rub the strut in the rear and the lower perch in the front. i'l have to completely cut my perches off, dont need em anyways lol.

im lookin for a perfect stance so from what we measured at my shop today i'll need 5mm fronts and 15mm rears. eibach pro spacers and extended studs are what i'm aiming for while rolling my fenders at the same time. i'm running bfg g-force sports 225/45zr17.

more good news is i'm going to look at a 2.5v6 and tranny out of a mx-6 tomorrow. i'm just a lil excited.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

I could have told you that. 225/45/17 is rediculously large for MX-3s. You're not one of those hella flush guys are you? :wink:
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

up until the mx-3 i've never really cared for stance, but i really want this to sit perfect. so ya i'm guess i'm falling into the flush crowd a bit.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

post some pics of that - with and without the spacers would ya. That is a good tire size and should look nice if you get that offset correct.
Don't forget to paint the rough edge of what used to be your larger spring perches. Don't want rust and peeling paint on the strut ;)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

^ definetly will take pics, I've really gotta sit down and start a worklog, should be easy now that I blew
My back out carrying the klde from the truck to
My backyard. :(

Good news is I'm that much closer to motor swap and mx6 hybrid LSD trans.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”