manifold to header

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdaman222
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

manifold to header

Post by mazdaman222 »

on my 1996 mx3 there is a manifold and i want to put a header off of a b6me on it but the me header has one o2 sensor and the de has 2 i was wondering if it would work with only the one or not also the de has a pipe from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold and the me doesent so i was wondering what its for and if it would work without the pipe or if i pinch it off ?? thanks
Ryan

Re: manifold to header

Post by Ryan »

You'll need both O2's or your car will run like crap and you'll throw a CEL. Luckily you easily can get another O2 bung welded in.

The pipe is the EGR, and its not as necessary unless you have to pass emissions where you live.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

if you have a 1996 RS (OBDII) it should have one O2 pre and one post Cat. You can simply weld an new O2 bung on the header, but you must move it out of the exhaust stream in order trick the ecu to think the CAT still exists. There are a couple ways this can be done. You can search O2 fix or something similar in google. Or you can get a $$$ Cork Sport header that should already come with the correct spacing.

The EGR can be a bit of an issue. Make sure to get an OBDII code reader to clear the codes when they arrive.
mazdaman222

Post by mazdaman222 »

ok thanks we dont have to get emissions tested in ns and i bought a 92 mx3 a wile ago it had a body kit on it so i was gunna fix it up but i wated too long and it rotted and it had a header on it and my 96 needs a hole exhaust and before the exhaust fell off there was no o2 sensor behind the cat there was one on the side of the manifold and one on the down pipe.
mazdaman222

Post by mazdaman222 »

just another question what if anything off of a me is better than on a de??
mazdaman222

Post by mazdaman222 »

well that was a big waste of time the bolt pattern on the me header is different than the de manifold :evil:
mazdaman222

Post by mazdaman222 »

now i got to go buy 2 new o2 sensors because they broke off when we tried to get them out and have no way to reconect the egr pipe :x :x :x
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya, when I was going to get headers put on my Mx-3, my mechanic suggested to get new 02's since they don't like to come out. I don't remember if we tried or not, if they did break or were seized or not, but that's typically the word.

Ya, headers aren't usually emissions compliant. You'll sometimes need to get the EGR tap welded on. I know for the Xterra, since I'm going to/gotta do headers sometime this year (cats are getting worn, and I've got a cracked manifold, typical problem on these motors, and the primary cats are actually part of the manifold believe it or not), that the headers are for the N/A Xterra, but the S/C doesn't have an EGR, so the EGR tube on the headers just needs to be capped off.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mazdaman222

Post by mazdaman222 »

ye the header that i have came off of a sohc mx3 the bolt patern is different from the dohc we got the o2 sensors to turn out but we needed to put the wrench on it then hit the wrench with a hammer but then the wrench came off and broke the sensors :x

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”