New to me 92

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
coolen
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

New to me 92

Post by coolen »

Good day to all. I am a long time "back yard mechanic" who has just bought his first Mazda. It is a 92 MX-3 Precidia. I got a good deal on this vehicle, I am the 3rd owner of it, and the paper history of the car was passed along to me.

It seems to work pretty good, seems to me though that it should have been a 6 speed instead of a 5. It is a 1.8 24v V6 engine. On hwy speeds it certainly likes it's RPM's. At around 100km/hr she revs at approx 3200!

It needs a small amount of body work around the wheel wells, but certainly nothing serious.

My main questions pertain to oil and MTX fluid. I doubt that the MTX fluid has ever been changed, so I'm kind of curious as to what the popular choice is? The same goes for the motor oil. Oh, and I forgot to mention, it has 230 000km on it. Oil changes were always done, (according to the paper work, and stickers on the windsheild).

I've searched around this site a bit to find quite a bit of debate. I will not be racing this car or anything like that, I just want a fun, reliable car to drive. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

Re: New to me 92

Post by Ryan »

Yup, those RPM's are typical.

Where do you live?

A solution to the RPM's is an MX-6 transmission, or a 626 sedan 4 cyl 5th gear.

If you live in a place where you get winter, use ATX fluid in the MTX transmission.

If not, use 75W90.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
coolen

Post by coolen »

Thanks for the reply. I live in Nova Scotia, and we certainly do get a winter.........brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The fluid change seems pretty straight forward, big a-- bolt on the bottom of the tranny (drain), and big a-- bolt on top (fill). Fill er' up to the top. I believe I read it was Dex 2?

Thanks!!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

NO!! Not the bolt on top, DO NOT 'fill er up'. There's a bolt on the front side, you fill only to that level. Check the on line manual for fill quantities. Here it is. http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... TD-017.gif
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
coolen

Post by coolen »

thanks for the reply. I plan on picking up some fluids today. Also, thanks for that chart!
dmac

Post by dmac »

im new to this so sorry for the noob question. Is there a time on when to replace the transmission fluid? And why would someone replace it? Thanks.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I love how people think a 6th gear is the magic key. In the Mx-3, in 5th gear I was revving around 4000rpms doing about 120km/h, in the Rx-8, in 6th gear, at 4000rpms, I'm at round 125km/h. High RPM's doesn't not mean bad fuel economy, and low revs doesn't mean better economy either, but there of course is a limit. It's all about the leverage, the torque made by the motor at a certain rpm and the work required to move the vehicle combined with it's aerodynamic drag at that speed. Mazda as with all car companies, have all done the math on this, and the revs are right where they need to be.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

It is indeed a good setup. Cruises at 3k, powerband starts at 4... excellent for passing power, either via a downshift if you cruise at 100 kph, or just stomping it if you cruise at 120. It was even in their design criteria
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ryan wrote:It is indeed a good setup. Cruises at 3k, powerband starts at 4... excellent for passing power, either via a downshift if you cruise at 100 kph, or just stomping it if you cruise at 120. It was even in their design criteria
Oh indeed. My ZE revving at 4000 at 120, man, she was just itching to go. Felt nice to cruise on the highway and have the motor feel like she was ready to go at anytime.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
burgess
antispam: No

Post by burgess »

what part of nova scotia are you from coolen?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”