Burgess's 94 mx3 rs

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
burgess
antispam: No

Burgess's 94 mx3 rs

Post by burgess »

Hey im Burgess or Burgo as some of my friends like to call me im kinda new here and thought id share my work log/ story. ive been trying to get a camera for the last 2 months and finally did yesterday. Anyways
So as soon as i turned 16 i wanted to have my own car of course. I had gotten my full finally so i had to get something.I have very limited funds and resources, ive lived on my own since ive been 17 so its hard to pay rent,power,phone,groceries and save up for a nice car while going to school and working at hurtin mcdonalds. i didn't really care at that point what car i got as long as it drove. My brother sent me a link on kijiji, "trading car for ps3/xbox 360 or something interesting." The car was a auto 1998 ford contour with a 2.5l v6 duratec. which i traded my xbox 360 for. it was in relatively good shape considering i got it for a xbox 360.it had about 225k kms. the main problem was the tranny slipped. i drove it for a month then sold it.
I then bought a auto 94 VW jetta GL. 1.8l i think i4. had 155k kms on it. i payed 175 for this car. Really good shape, no rust, lowish kms, always undercoated lots of good oem parts.. so anyways the battery died one day and my friend helped me jumpstart it but he crossed the wires and fried the computer im pretty sure. so i sold that for 150 to a guy who wanted parts.
while i waiting for the jetta to sell i went and bought my first mx3 for 400 bucks down in the valley. a 94 1.6l 4 cylinder with 260k kms. it had no muffler, rear sway bar links were shot it felt like i was fish tailing the whole way home from buying it. This one was a 5 speed and came with better oem parts than my current mx3. So the body was in complete horrendous shape, the previous owner put insulation foam inside the rear panels. Genius idea i must say... foam holds water so it will rust out quicker and worse. the frame was in rough shape too so i decided to sell it because i wouldnt be able to get the work done it needed.
I then traded my mx3 and 200 dollars for a 1992 chrysler daytona with a 3.0l sohc v6. literally the day after i bought it the starter stopped working and i had to replace that and the alternator. besides that the only problem with the daytona was a pretty major one. the whole rear subframe had let go. the gas tank straps were held in the piece of frame and one rotted out so the tank was hanging all the time. i took the daytona off the road for a month then ended up selling it for 100 dollars to someone who put a stolen plate on it and never got it registered. the daytona was the first car i got legally registered and right now i can legally get the car back by getting it towed from the buyers front yard. I sold the daytona for 100 because i dont want anything to do with that car. it caused me to much trouble and i pretty much just wanted the parking space for my new mx3!.
So i got rid of the Daytona and was flat broke. luckily my good friend lent me a thousand bucks to go buy another car with. so i went for another trip down the valley and picked up this baby in december. its a 1994 auto mx3 rs with a b6. It was in pretty good shape. the exhaust was broken, a piece of frame was bad. it came with 18 inch speedy racing finz-lite rims and a future shop fusion set up. i ended up giving buddy 925 for the car, sold the rims and sound gear for 350 so so far im in 575. Ive replaced the oil and filter twice, the passenger side cv axle, put on ngk wires and plugs, got BWD disty cap and rotor put on, changed the stock air filter for a fram platinum one, i put the Altezza taillights on yesterday, installed a sony explode deck and front speakers, changed the side interior panels in the back seat, the drivers side was covered with mold because there was no door seal which i replaced as well. i had to strait wire my deck to the battery because the previous owner hacked the harness completely. i drove for two and a half months with no deck in because i couldnt figure out how to install the new one. i also put the black bubble thing on the top of the hatch not to long ago.

Hes a pic of my mangled exhaust.

and a pic of the busted frame. to the left of this broken piece is where the passenger side trailing arm is held onto the body.

Few plans coming soon soon is a new hatch with either a wrap around or rs spoiler, cold air intake, im saving money now for a set of those oem 14 inch rims that came on my other mx3 that come with tires and center caps. If the money is right within the next 2 months im buying paint of a friend that is clover green with 2 different pearl green colors mixed then would get painted. the guy with the rims also had a parts car which is 5 speed i could get for 300 but it needs a starter, sway bar links and a brake line.
So i plan on doing everything i can to this car within my ability. i dont have access to various tools and if i need something out of reach i have a good friend with a garage who will help. its just i have to wait and wait and figure a time out that i can get in the garage. Like i said progress is going to be quite slow, im not trying to show off my car here or brag or anything this is more so for motivation for myself. any and all comments are welcome. Thanks
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Burgess's 94 mx3 rs

Post by Ryan »

Wow man, you've had some shitty cars. The body work on that teal MX would have scared me into the next province...

And that missing frame rail(that was a frame rail, right)... I'm afraid for your health. You'll never get that saftied...

And all of the paint seems terrible on all the cars, where do you live? The Jetta seemed okay.

I'd only do mods that you can remove and put into the next car... not much use in sinking cash into that chassis...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
burgess

Post by burgess »

im have a friends father whos been a mechanic for 40 years to fix the frame hes going to fix it for around 100 bucks.
burgess

Post by burgess »

oh i live in halifax nova scotia in canada. yeah the teal mx was a Frankenstein job. every mx3 around here is in bad shape because of salt mines in relatively good shape compared to most ive seen around. i was worried about the frame too but its on there good. its been my daily driver since december.
burgess

Post by burgess »

finally got my new muffler welded on and the big hole there fixed. magnaflow high flow muffler.
burgess

Post by burgess »

new valve cover gasket put on today. no more burning oil, and i had oil on the 4th sparkplug which is no longer there. discovered i have a pretty noticeable air leak. i can hear the air when i have my doors closed and windows up.
muttpower

Post by muttpower »

Yeah, these cars aren't known for their wisper quiet interiors...but if it gets too annoying, buy some peel and seal, or boom-mat. Usually works pretty well...
Last edited by muttpower on April 30th, 2011, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
burgess

Post by burgess »

oh its not just the air leaking through the body, that goes without saying haha i ment to say vacuum leak at least i think it is. there is 3 hoses each different color and one broke right off something. i have no idea what it is ill get a picture i just know there's a broken hose and this solenoid i think its called with a hole that leaks air.
muttpower

Post by muttpower »

post a pic of it, and I'm sure someone on here will be able to identify it...
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
burgess

Post by burgess »

i circled the hole in red. it had a hose attached to it what would be my best fix here
burgess

Post by burgess »

so the torque converter went in the tranny today. im some p*ssed but the situation could have been worse. i was driving down a street which had a steep hill and stop sign at the bottom. on the flat i heard a clunk like a big rock hit the motor. as soon as i started coming down the hill i turned right on a street to find out nothing happened when i hit the gas and the brakes were barely holding up i put the car in neutral and tried to pull along side a curb on the wrong side of the road and when i put the car in park it kept rolling. i had to back into someones hedge and over the curb. had to get it towed to my apartment parking lot. if i would have kept driving strait i would have went into the front of someones house. thinking of getting a bp swap i have access to a 5 speed protege. not quite sure yet.
burgess

Post by burgess »

i got a mtx 94 protege s a few days ago. Got the transmission and everything i need out today. pretty happy because tomorrow is my 19th birthday and i really didnt want to get it out tomorrow. i decided to just change the tranny instead of the motor because the motor in the car is just a B8. Im swapping my atx to a mtx. hopefully will have this done in 2 weeks time.
burgess

Post by burgess »

Here's a few pics of the 94 protege i took the transmission out off. payed nothing for it, got it from a friends uncle. safety ran out on it in 2008 and wasnt driven since. I jumped it when i got home and it started right up on the second turn over! The stuff on the side is brake fluid, a hose was bad. I like the steering wheel, im going to swap my stock 94 mx3 wheel for it.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”