Transplant was a success!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Lesley

Transplant was a success!

Post by Lesley »

I've been away a lot but finally got around to picking my car up this week. Drove it all around the wonderful winding roads near Mosport today... I've come to the conclusion that this is the engine this car was meant to have. It's exactly right for the size and handling aspects of this car - now it's as zippy as it looks. Really nice not to wear my clutch foot out constantly shifting...was experimenting a bit and it's perfectly happy to take hills in 4th and even 5th.
Should have it lapping soon, it was good last year but more of a "momentum car", now it will have a bit more oomph to get it up that long Andretti Straight. :-)
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed
97 Dodge Dakota - Boyd rims, custom built 5.9 360, custom tranny with kevlar guts and shift kit. Too many upgrades to list.
92 Mazda 323 - winter beater

mx3 by Leadfoot Lesley, on Flickr
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Transplant was a success!

Post by PATDIESEL »

Awesome and grats. Take some vids on the track and post em up. I've been track deprived for the last year and need to see an MX on a real track...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

More info please :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Pat, will do, and many thanks for your help!

I blew my engine last fall, it was my own damn fault. I knew it had a tendency to lose oil – I hadn't topped it up and the oil light was flickering intermittently. So , couple that with skipping a shift and dropping to 2nd from 5th when an old guy in an STS drifted in front of me... and the result was a busted rod. Great excuse to finally get a KLZE.
Happened to be on a stopover flight with 2 hours to kill and nothing to do but waste time on ebay... where I picked up one for $600 from Tiger Japan in Mississauga. $700 shipped to my mechanics, where it compression tested perfectly. Upgraded the springs to Interprep to avoid any valve float at high rpm, and bought a Centreforce Stage II clutch. Unfortunately, the Fidanza flywheel I bought from another MX3 guy turned out to be... for a Mazda 323 GTX, doh. Ended up getting the 1.8 L flywheel machined.

Plans are to upgrade the suspension with better springs and shocks. I've got a really great sounding exhaust that I pulled off my old MX - it was originally for a Shelby CSX, but it fit perfectly. Sounds really great and blatty on downshift.

I took the car to a Solo Sprint on the big track last year, it was really nice but underpowered – I got used to immediately getting out of the way after turns 5 to let the big guys go by. Now I won't have to get out of the way quite as quickly... :-) With some nice Pirelli sticky tires, it should be a nice little toy for me to stay out of trouble in.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed
97 Dodge Dakota - Boyd rims, custom built 5.9 360, custom tranny with kevlar guts and shift kit. Too many upgrades to list.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Lesley wrote:Tiger Japan
:shock:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Yeah, I've heard stuff about them too, but have also talked to several people who had good dealings with them. My engine was nice and clean.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed

_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Lesley wrote:I blew my engine last fall, it was my own damn fault. I knew it had a tendency to lose oil – I hadn't topped it up and the oil light was flickering intermittently. So , couple that with skipping a shift and dropping to 2nd from 5th when an old guy in an STS drifted in front of me... and the result was a busted rod.
Very irresponsible of you.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Lesley wrote: I blew my engine last fall, it was my own damn fault. I knew it had a tendency to lose oil – I hadn't topped it up and the oil light was flickering intermittently. So , couple that with skipping a shift and dropping to 2nd from 5th when an old guy in an STS drifted in front of me... and the result was a busted rod.
Those damn old guys, he probably was wearing a hat too wasn't he. :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

Hmmm...surprised you blew a rod and not the tranny.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
carizle

Post by carizle »

I think sending a rod through the oil pan is a GREAT excuse to get a KL! I almost came close to doing the same thing till I realized I was two quarts low just recently :lol:
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-92 GS beater-280,000 miles and still goin strong-HEI mod
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Yes, that's exactly what I thought!
Although it was sad to ruin that nice little engine.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed

carizle

Post by carizle »

Lesley wrote:Yes, that's exactly what I thought!
Although it was sad to ruin that nice little engine.
Not a complete waste. Ever seen the K-offee table? :lol: :lol: Makes a very stylish piece of furniture.
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-92 GS beater-280,000 miles and still goin strong-HEI mod
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

That's a great idea... but unfortunately I sent it for scrap :|
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”