Plug Wire options and ignition components

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RedAutobotMX3
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Plug Wire options and ignition components

Post by RedAutobotMX3 »

First post with my new DE powered Emerald Metallic GS after the red one was sandwiched in February. Guess I should change my name, but she's still an autobot, HAHA.

Gonna be doing a tune up; and I always upgrade when i can if im replacing so im looking for opinions on plug wires.

I'll be running NGK R's or Iridiums for plugs themselves. Was kinda leaning towards just getting matching NGK wires. I put a set of Nology Hotwires on my cavalier along with some MSD coils, and got a real nice bump in the butt dyno from that; would it be worth doing the HEI swap and getting the blaster coils offered for our cars in conjunction with a set of colorific Nology wires? That would be instead of working on the stock disty i suppose. Magnacore is another option that im sure some of my fellow Emm Exxer's have used.

I know alot of people say that ignition stuff won't do crap for power, but it all adds up no matter how small the gain. Indexing the plugs? You bet ill be doing that as well. I'm running 91 octane in it atm as an experiment, so a hotter burn in conjunction with that, I feel, will result in a nice "recovery" of power over the old used parts. The Nology wires are exceptionally pricey (3x price of NGK's), so money really isnt an issue. I'd like to stay away from any "power box" stuff that i know is available from MSD for the moment, but if its necessary to do all of it at once to get the right results, well then so be it.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Plug Wire options and ignition components

Post by Daninski »

I see the ones for the Ford Probe (DE engine) are $20 bucks less than for the MX3 K8. I'd buy the Ford DE wires. NGKs are $80 bucks delivered to my door from RockAuto where the Nology wires are $222 + shipping. That's a lot more money with limited gain. HEI mod would be money better spent IMO.

Recommend you check this site out. http://iwcweb.com/eclipse/html/warning.html
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RedAutobotMX3
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RedAutobotMX3 »

Certainly a provocative read. The parts i had used from Nology lasted me a good while with no issues, but were also manufactured several years after the incident on that site.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

msd universal wires are great and cheap. i got a v8 set for $60 so i have 2 spares :) . if you search around theres a guide on how to make them fit. i think fowljesse has it in his worklog but im not 100% sure who it was.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”