New ZE installed NO SPARK. ON TIME DEADLINE AND PASSING

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mr.mx-3

Re: New ZE installed NO SPARK. ON TIME DEADLINE AND PASSING

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

Daninski wrote:Once you reinstall the original K8 disty your car should be fine.
Thanks Daninski. Any speical procedures in which to do this?? or is it just a slap in bolt up and connect job?
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

the position the disty is in affects the timing of the car. since it was never marked your going to have to play with it to get the timing right. start in the top position and start the car. if its not running properly turn off the car do an 1/8" turn and try again. repeat this until the car runs well. keep in mind the ecu can adjust the timing on the disty but it will take time for the car to learn the proper position (assuming your t-belt is on properly).
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Or do it right and get a timing light. :shrug: You need to jump TEN and GND (when its running or before you start, doesn't matter) and then connect the timing light, and do that properly, adjusting your idle as you go, and then remove the jumped, running or after you turn it off. Also, the car has to be at operating temp.

Twisting the disty without a timing light and not in diag mode is 100% useless as the ECM will still go back to its previous timing because thats the point it was programmed to.

The rotor only goes on ONE way, IDK why your other ones didn't fit. 92-93 is one, 94 is another, and 95+ is another style. In all cases there is one face on that triangle that is slightly larger(look hard to see), and the contact on the rotor points that direction.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ryan is correct but if you don't have a timing light just set the disty in the middle of the adjustment and you'll at least be close and have a car that runs.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
davmac

Post by davmac »

Maybe this is too obvious to state but if you're installing the distributor into an engine you still need to turn the crank so it is at top dead center and then put the distributor in so the rotor (button) is pointed at #1 spark plug wire. If you can't see the timing belt and therefore can't see the cams lined up to confirm TDC then you'll have to take your chance and try starting the car. When the crank pulley is lined up at 0' per the timing cover marks you're either at TDC (#1 piston at top of compression and waiting for spark) or 180' off when the #1 cylinder is at the top of the exhaust stroke. It will certainly start if you guess right and then you can fine tune with timing light in diagnostic mode, etc.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

davmac wrote:Maybe this is too obvious to state but if you're installing the distributor into an engine you still need to turn the crank so it is at top dead center and then put the distributor in so the rotor (button) is pointed at #1 spark plug wire.
Why is this necassary? The disty can be installed where ever, the shaft only goes in one way and the cap only goes on one way. If the disty plugs aren't at the top you'll notice something is wrong real quick.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
davmac

Post by davmac »

Oops I forgot the disty is keyed and directly driven by the camshaft. I work on other cars where the disty that have gears that mesh and must be installed when the engine is in a known position to have a shot at proper timing.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

davmac wrote:Maybe this is too obvious to state but if you're installing the distributor into an engine you still need to turn the crank so it is at top dead center and then put the distributor in so the rotor (button) is pointed at #1 spark plug wire. If you can't see the timing belt and therefore can't see the cams lined up to confirm TDC then you'll have to take your chance and try starting the car. When the crank pulley is lined up at 0' per the timing cover marks you're either at TDC (#1 piston at top of compression and waiting for spark) or 180' off when the #1 cylinder is at the top of the exhaust stroke. It will certainly start if you guess right and then you can fine tune with timing light in diagnostic mode, etc.
Thanks guys yea this is why I was asking if there were any special things needing done cuz I was thinking the same thing before I removed it but later I was to find it was pretty much idiot proof to install now getting the timeing exact is another story I'm still waiting on my rotor button from the dealership they had to order it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be I just gave them the name of the place I work for and they gave me a lil discount it'll be here tomorrow so I guess the moment of truth will be then.. So excited and nervose at the same time hopeing I didn't spend all this money for nothing. There is one more thing I can't seem to figure out what the hell that nipple on top of the intake is for and where does it go and how do I tie into or connect the charcoal canister?? I've got the I guess you would call silinoid on the back of the intake beside the place the egr s--- would be and from what I've gathered it's for the canister but can't seem to figure out how I'm suppposed to tie that into the line and where line that comes out of the silnioid goes to I've looked at a few diagrams and it just confuses me even more..
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
davmac

Post by davmac »

Here is the definitive diagram that most people use to route their vacuum hoses. All the K engines use similar vacuum routing and each seems to have a little twist to make it different. ZE or DE the charcoal canister gets vacuum from a dedicated purge control solenoid. The bottom nipple on the purge solenoid gets vacuum from a nipple in the intake manifold behind the throttle body and the top nipple on the purge solenoid is connected to the charcoal canister.

Hopefully the diagram will ensure your other solenoids and vacuum lines are properly connected.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

GREAT NEWS finially got rotor button today hit the switch once and ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!!! I couldn't believe it I had accually done it. Thanks to everyone here for the advice it ran pretty smooth altho I can hear a valve or lifter tapping a little probally just sticking from sitting so long at least I hope altho I am going to have to do a little rerouting the vac. lines and I seem to somehow have a antifreeze leak at the radiator will have to find that tomorrow.. But the k8 disty worked great. I was a little worried when I first started it there was a a-- load of smoke comming from under the motor turns out it was just the paint burning off the headers..

Davmac,
I have a curved kneck and mine has a 90 degree nipple on top of the IM Behind the TB and not the side that's what I'm wondering what that goes to if it's for the charcoal canister or the cruise control.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”