New ZE installed NO SPARK. ON TIME DEADLINE AND PASSING

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mr.mx-3

New ZE installed NO SPARK. ON TIME DEADLINE AND PASSING

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

Yea Yea I know this has probally been posted a hundred times already and I'm sorry I just don't have the time to go through 300+ pages of post. OK I FINALLY got my ZE put in wanted to get someone with alot of knowlage about this car but that seems impossiable around here to install it but couldn't find anyone and ran out of money so I had to do it myself at the shop I work at finally after 2 weeks of work and scratching my head and a-- wondering WTF am I doing and not getting the exaust to line up it's in and ready to run I see everyone keeps saying to switch over the k8 disty cuz the ze disty will not connect to the plug everything on the one I have plugged in fine no extra pins no problems on that part now the only problem I'm having is a no fire issue pulled no1 plug grounded it out no spark from plug. Yes they were replaced cap was replaced and rotor button didn't replace wires far too expensive for me at this point I did however pull a wire from my k8 and use it to test the spark and the same thing I'm pretty sure it's something in the disty is the prob. but I don't want to replace for k8 disty seeing all the problems being had with them besides I would rather run the parts that were designed for that motor than subitute for something lesser. I know everyone's going to say HEI switch but to me seems a bit messy and a bandaid for a soultion to the situation. Has anyone ran into this?? will this disty work has anyone used the one that came with their ZEs without a prob.??? I will note this is a 6 pin disty no external coil wire. Thanks to anyone who can help
Last edited by Mr.mx-3 on March 19th, 2011, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
solo_ryder

Re: New ZE installed NO SPARK. ON TIME DEADLINE AND PASSING

Post by solo_ryder »

Okay.. So you know the k8 disty will work, so then u dont use it then make a post saying your not getting spark... hmmm

Install the K8 disty, get it running right and then mess with the ZE disty later if you really want it.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

LOL Yea I know it's a bit contradictary it's very late and alot of work and searching. I guess what I was getting at is there anything I could have missed with this one?? I also forgot to mention when I changed the rotor button IDK if I put it back in the same position it came off would this make any diff. in getting spark or not
Last edited by Mr.mx-3 on March 19th, 2011, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

To my knowledge all ZEs came with external coil from the factory so either that's not a ZE or that's nit the correct distributor for your engine. Having said all that it doesnt matter at all. Use the K8 distributor. The important point to understand is that it was made to work with your existing wire harness and ECU combination.

It is not a lesser component than the ZE distibutor. It's the one that will work.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

wytbishop wrote:To my knowledge all ZEs came with external coil from the factory so either that's not a ZE or that's nit the correct distributor for your engine. Having said all that it doesnt matter at all. Use the K8 distributor. The important point to understand is that it was made to work with your existing wire harness and ECU combination.

It is not a lesser component than the ZE distibutor. It's the one that will work.
The funny thing of it is I don't really want to get into what is and what aint but a good confirm would be nice It is a curved kneck it has kl131 on the back head and kl101 on the front or vice versa and no EGR just a plate that says EGR over the hole where it's supposed to be. Yea I guess you're right it is the one that will work I just hate spending all my money on the cap and 2 extra rotor buttons for this one since advanced accually had them verses not having for my k8 disty
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

solo_ryder wrote:Okay.. So you know the k8 disty will work, so then u dont use it then make a post saying your not getting spark... hmmm

Install the K8 disty, get it running right and then mess with the ZE disty later if you really want it.
QFT!

You're pressed for time, yet you go the more complicated route and being stubborn about not wanting to go the route that works. Ya the ignitor in the K8 disty will go eventually, but get thed damn car running first.

What are you talking about spending money on distys? Where's the one that was on your K8?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Head codes aren't right unless that's one of those new 2000+ engines. Yes just use the K8 disty from your car.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

The k8 disty is off and getting ready to be installed as soon as I can get the damn rotor button from the dreaded dealership monday seems like around here nobody else can seem to get it right. Went through 2 buttons from advanced auto neither one was right checked napa same thing So for today I just ajusted the clutch peddal since it needed it had some slop at the top as far as the year I think it's at least a 96 at least that's what's on the plug wires. Has been dealership maintained mazda oil filter,mazda wires even mazda spark plugs. Ok so on to the distys here are the numbers from the ze or 2.5 whatever it is KF34 TOT57271 C, K8, TOT57072A KLY1 both made by mitsubitsh, So yea I could see as to why the 2.5 wouldn't work.

NEED4SPD,
I am under a deadline but I am also very anal about my work IE. Car being exact and was not trying to take the hardest route I was doing what I thought was the correct route and easist quickist to my knowlage but I see what and where I probally went wrong. Plus my knowlage is very limited to any of this for this is my first time ever doing something to this magnatude. Mostly what I have gathered has been from reading the forms and what everyone else has wrote and experinced and half of what I read years ago I've forgotten. As for the whole point of this post was for the simple reason I might have been one of the lucky ones and got something only a few had and would be able to give me some insite as to what else it may be or if I may have wired up something wrong or left something loose or maybe some trick or combo that I didn't know.
But yea k8 disty is going in monday and I'll go for round 2 on the start up.
Last edited by Mr.mx-3 on March 19th, 2011, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
solo_ryder wrote:Okay.. So you know the k8 disty will work, so then u dont use it then make a post saying your not getting spark... hmmm

QFT!

You're pressed for time, yet you go the more complicated route and being stubborn about not wanting to go the route that works. Ya the ignitor in the K8 disty will go eventually, but get thed damn car running first.

What are you talking about spending money on distys? Where's the one that was on your K8?

I was referring to the cap and rotor buttons I bought for the one on the ze and also having to go to the dealership to get a rotor button for the k8 disty
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Mr.mx-3 wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:

QFT!

I was referring to the cap and rotor buttons I bought for the one on the ze and also having to go to the dealership to get a rotor button for the k8 disty
You cant really buy ZE parts.. The disty is probably from another motor that they stuck on there, possibly a KF disty (Newer TOT number) or a newer K8 one with the North/South and East/West plugs. Alot of ZE's come with some weird disty and not the 7 nipple it should come with.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

Yea sad I know bout the ze parts I got the parts for a millenia as far as the rotor buttons and cap. on the ze's disty they're supposed to be the same yea the disty #s goes as fallows KF34 TOT57271 C but that's neither here nor there since that disty is out of the question.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

what exactly are rotor buttons?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Once you reinstall the original K8 disty your car should be fine.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

mikeinaus wrote:what exactly are rotor buttons?
I think he means the area or "triangular" connector where the rotor pushes on
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

solo_ryder wrote:
mikeinaus wrote:what exactly are rotor buttons?
I think he means the area or "triangular" connector where the rotor pushes on
No the long rectangler plastic piece that turns on the disty shaft or triangler piece that spins and hits the electrodes inside the disty cap I used plural because I bought the last two advanced auto had in stock and that's why I bought them to keep me from having to pay $40.00 a pop at the dealership for a rotor button thinking at the time I could use the disty that came on my ZE..

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”