Re-occuring problem with breaks - 95 Mazda MX-3

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Patass

Re-occuring problem with breaks - 95 Mazda MX-3

Post by Patass »

Since I got the car a few years ago I've had fairly regular problems with the breaks. The pedal gets pushed down all the way to the floor, and it takes a while to come to a complete stop. That doesnt really sound right for such a light car. Even if I slam it down it just slows down and comes to a stop. I mean, i dont think it's life threatening or anything, but I think it's cause for concern. Here's a poorly made video that kinda sorta shows what I'm talking about. Just notice that it takes no effort what so ever to get that pedal all the way down. Also, what weird "caswish" noise when I do it in park, dunno if that's normal or not. The pads are fine, I need to double check the lines (there were holes in them when i first got the car)...that's all I can think of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_7cXxhnPa0
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Re-occuring problem with breaks - 95 Mazda MX-3

Post by Josh »

ok couple of things to look at.
- check the vacuum line from the brake booster to the manifold, there is a one way check valve in the line and that could be plugged, carb cleaner can fix it or buy a replacement.

- the next thing would be the brake cylinder itself is going out, one obvious way to check is to look at the brake cylinder and booster under the hood and see if fluid is dribbling down the underside.

- another thing is that if someone changed the calipers or ran the master cylinder out of fluid for whatever reason there could be air in the lines and have to be re-bled.

I would start with the vacuum line because that’s exactly what my car did when i had a bad check valve.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Re-occuring problem with breaks - 95 Mazda MX-3

Post by Daninski »

Bleed those breaks. Easiest way is if your by yourself is to (first spray the bleed screws with penetrate) simply open the bleed screws a little and let the system gravity bleed with the break reservoir cap loosened. Keep an eye on the brake reservoir and don't let it get too low. Once the fluid comes out in a steady stream with no bubbles your good to go. Don't do more than two at a time.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”