Help with installing HID XENON conversion kit

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Help with installing HID XENON conversion kit

Post by Mooneggs »

the flicker must be normal because after about being on for about 5 minutes the left will flicker than the right side but it's only once...

there is a precaution with HID's so you don't burn them out prematurely:

1. don't ever start the car with the headlights on! it causes a power surge on the whole system.

2. don't switch between hi and low quickly like flashing your high beams.

as long as you follow those 2 rules, the bulbs should last for a while without dimming prematurely. Of course if you forget it's not going to blow up or anything :D
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Mooneggs wrote:the flicker must be normal because after about being on for about 5 minutes the left will flicker than the right side but it's only once...

there is a precaution with HID's so you don't burn them out prematurely:

1. don't ever start the car with the headlights on! it causes a power surge on the whole system.

2. don't switch between hi and low quickly like flashing your high beams.

as long as you follow those 2 rules, the bulbs should last for a while without dimming prematurely. Of course if you forget it's not going to blow up or anything :D
Flicker might be the wrong word to describe what i am seeing - its like a flash when i turn it on first - it is bright for half a second or so when i turn it on and then dims and slowly reaches full brightness in the next 1.5-2 seconds.

Also the kit i got comes with a controller box and takes power supply directly from the battery - so it will turn off the lights while the car starts (low voltage) and start them back on once the power is stabilized. Also it wont let me switch it on/off frequently - there is a delay built into the control box and if i flick it on/off frequently - it will just stay on. Also since i am using the same bulb for both hi and low beam - there is no problem switching between hi and low.....
Conrad17

Post by Conrad17 »

im about to make the same swap, im curious though, do mx-3s require a relay harness or anything that doesnt come in the kit, i just want to make one purchase and get em on :)
Conrad17

Post by Conrad17 »

also..... bi xenon or regular? do i lose my brights if i dont get the bi xenon?
slayer322
antispam: No

Post by slayer322 »

Conrad17 wrote:im about to make the same swap, im curious though, do mx-3s require a relay harness or anything that doesn't come in the kit, i just want to make one purchase and get em on :)
every car you put HID's into should be accompanied by a relay harness. Not only do they make sure that both ballasts turn on every time and draw power directly from the battery, but a relay harness also keeps stress off your stock wiring harness and prevents any possible issues in the future with wiring.

Unless your kits states clearly that it comes with a relay wiring harness, then it most likely does not and is highly recommended
1996 Mazda MX-3 GS - DD / Always a project Car
ZE + Pacesetters = <3
Hans31
antispam: No

Post by Hans31 »

duaux wrote:I have just purchased the following HID XENON kit and would like some directions on how to mount and install please.

9004 4300k Xtreme Xenon HID Conversion Kit

I do not wish that this post becomes a Projector vs. XENON vs. Reflector discussion… Or how I may have made the wrong choice in going this route…

I would only like some help/direction on how to properly mount/install my kit.
If it is best that I pay someone to do this for me (mechanic, electrician, etc.); please recommend a place in the Toronto area.

My goal is to achieve better visibility, not for the looks. The current Silverstar Ultra’s are not cutting it for me.

Thanks.

***Steps I believe that are required:

1. Disable DRL, I am aware that I will have to turn on my lights each time I drive. I live in Canada. – Complete
2. Locate an area both on the left and right side to mount the device – STUCK
I have reviewed the online manual.
However I am having difficulty with locating it in the engine…
3. Locating the ground in the engine – STUCK
4. Locating the positive lead to the battery - STUCK
I bought dual beam HID. I have connected High beam to the blue, low beam to the red and black to the ground.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”