Broke tip of key in ignition, need help badly

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
mikehawksfat
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Broke tip of key in ignition, need help badly

Post by mikehawksfat »

Hi, i read everything in this section and electrical faq section and i still havnt found anything that helps. I broke the tip of the key off in the ignition and ive tried puttin the key in and wigglin it and stuff. i dont have the time or the money at the moment to get it fixed or even buy any parts myself to fix it so i was thinkin i could hotwire it but the person who ownd the car before me put on a simple security system and im unexperienced in hotwiring lol. basically what im asking for is any advice on what could get my car started and back on the road for work. is there a simple lock cylinder inside the ignition assemly? if that makes any since, shade tree mechanic :confused2:

and yeah first post was a new topic, sorry :(
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: Broke tip of key in ignition, need help badly

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Ok, first, welcome to the forum.

You didn't specify which year is your car. If it's a '94 or later, it has airbags. Be VERY CAREFUL when working with them. Disconnecting the battery is a must.

Now, take off the steering column covers. Once you did that, in the back end of the ignition lock cylinder you will see the switch, attached to it with one screw. Take off the screw, and get the switch off. Now, turn the switch (once you reconnect the battery) like you'd turn the key, and the car will start.

Edit: when I said "turn the switch", I meant you will see an insert with a slot, that engages to the lock cylinder. That's what you have to turn, with either the keys or a screwdriver.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Inodoro is correct.

You should likely be able to push out your key remnant at that point, too.

If you can't switching the ignition switch is possible, but a little complicated.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

How the hell do you break the tip off? :?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

She uses teeth :(

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
mikehawksfat

Post by mikehawksfat »

thanks, ill give that a try in the mornin, definetely gna disconect the battery since im basically wingin it lol, its a 1994 with the 1.6l, the key had a tiny crack in it, which i actually just discovered like 2 days ago, ne kinda special tool i'll need? and theres a wierd securtiy thing that i have to press a button on a keychain thing to start it, i dont thank it came on the car, especially since im pretty sure its the base model lol
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

how much is broken off? i've used a coping saw blade before, with the flat side shaved down a bit. insert it with the teeth facing out towards the keyhole and it will grab onto the broken key as you pull it out
mikehawksfat

Post by mikehawksfat »

well got the car started, but i cant find the wheel lock lol, cant go newhere without turning :) anyone know where the wheel lock is on a 1994 1.6l with air bag, tried gettin the key out, its stuck in there pretty damn good
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Oops...sorry, I didn't think of that.. :oops:

You need to take the lock cylinder off.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

If you pull off all the dash plastic, and the combination switch, and you look at the ignition cylinder, you'll see two rivet-looking things, like screws, but with blank heads. Cut grooves in them with a angle grinder (thin blade) and then turn them out with a screwdriver. Then you can do the same with a junkyard MX (make sure you have the key) and you can replace the cylinder.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
maciveli00

Post by maciveli00 »

Have a similar enough problem that I thought I would ask here as well as post.... Just hoping for a quick fix here on a 1993 MX-3 GS. The key will not turn sometimes because the button that lets the key out will not depress when key is inserted. A friend told me there is a golden piece in the ignition that if removed will allow the ignition to function properly. Is this true and if so how do I do this, or is there a simpler way? It will start sometimes when the button chooses not to interfere. Thank you for reading and maybe some of you pros can help an upstart like me save some cash.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

maciveli00 wrote:Have a similar enough problem that I thought I would ask here as well as post.... Just hoping for a quick fix here on a 1993 MX-3 GS. The key will not turn sometimes because the button that lets the key out will not depress when key is inserted. A friend told me there is a golden piece in the ignition that if removed will allow the ignition to function properly. Is this true and if so how do I do this, or is there a simpler way? It will start sometimes when the button chooses not to interfere. Thank you for reading and maybe some of you pros can help an upstart like me save some cash.
i dont know of any button but sometimes the key wont turn depending on the position of your steering wheel (relative to the steering lock). try wiggling your wheel as you try and turn the key. if not you have some fancy key lock that i know nothing about.
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I had half my key break off in the cylinder last Christmas at the folk's place. I managed to deal with it with limited tools. The "rivet" looking bolts can be unscrewed with a small set of vice grips if you have 'em handy. I read that coping saw bit somewhere but couldn't get anywhere with it. If you can pull the cylinder off the steering column it's pretty damn easy to go the next step and disassemble the lock itself, then you can just pull out the bit of key.

As a side note, if you take out those damn rivet bolts you might as well replace 'em with something you can take out easily. I don't remember the exact size, I just got some button head allen key bolts and put it back together with them. If you happen to have to do this work around Christmas, and the hardware stores are closed. Cable ties hold everything together just fine until those lazy bastards get back to work. They look ghetto fab too.

Pro Tip: Take the lock apart somewhere where small flying parts are easy to find.

I didn't. Got lucky though. Seems locks have all kinds of springs inside. who would have thought?
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

Oh yeah, how the hell do they tighten those stupid bolts anyway? Do they have magic?

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”