Clean & Adjust your TB Pics Included P2 - Pix Fixed

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Clean & Adjust your TB Pics Included P2 - Pix Fixed

Post by Tunes67 »

Ok guys.. now comes the fun part. We now have 1 or 2 adjustments to make before we can put the TB back on the car. First we MAY need to adjust the butterfly valve position. If your TB was really bad inside the bore, lots of gritty greasy dirt, then likely the bore of your TB or the butterfly valve itself may have worn down over time. Now that your TB is nice and clean.. this gunk isnt there to fill up the gaps anymore, and you should adjust the position of the butterfly valve. Now this is only neccessary in really bad cases, for the most part, you probably wont need to do this part. But if you do decide you want to or need to adjust it here is how.

First thing to do is to loosen the nut and set screw circled here. Back the screw out all the way until the Butterfly Valve is resting on the Bore of the TB.

Now, slowly tighten down the set screw until you see the butterfly valve opening. The idea here is to get the butterfly valve as closed as possible while keeping it from hitting or rubbing against the walls of the Bore. If the butterfly valve rubs against the bore.. it will wear it out fairly quickly and you dont want to have to buy one of these things new from mazda. Once you have the set screw in position to keep the butterfly valve closed but not touching the bore, tighten down the nut to keep the set screw locked in place.

Now we are going to move on to adjusting your TPS.. aka your Throttle Position Sensor. This is where you will need the Feeler gauge and a multimeter. Check out this next image. Note the position of the tabs circled in red so you can make sure you are viewing your TPS at the same angle. Note the 2 pins circled in yellow and labled A & B respectively.

Now test for continuity between pins A & B. You should have continuity at this point. But if you dont, dont panic. If you adjusted your butterfly valve as shown above, this will be normal. Insert the feeler marked 0.3mm (or 0.012in) (see image below), then loosen up the 2 screws holding your TPS sensor in place and turn it (use very small increments) slightly, checking continuity frequently, until you register continuity again.

Now insert the feeler marked 0.4mm (or 0.016in) as shown below.

You should have no continuity between pins A & B, with the feeler in place.

So to recap.. You should have continuity between pins A & B with no feeler inserted and with a 0.3mm (0.012in) feeler inserted. You should have NO continuity between A & B when you have a 0.4mm (0.016in) feeler inserted. If the above is true. Tighten the screws for the TPS down, tighten them down evenly, a little bit on one screw and then switch to the other one.. back and forth till both are tight. Be very careful doing this, if you tighten too much.. you will throw your adjustment off and you will need to redo it all over again. Once you have tightened the screws down completely.. check for continuity again just as you did before you tightened it down.. to make sure your adjustment stayed true.

And thats it folks.. you should of course replace the gasket that goes between the TB and the Intake. But you are now ready to reinstall your TB.

*Edit* Just one additional note - You will need to readjust your idle speed after you reinstall your TB. This is pretty easy to do though. Just place a jumper wire between TEN & GND on the diagnostic box and then tighten or loosen the IAA screw until your idle speed is around 750-800 RPMs. Then shut down and remove the jumper wire. You will need to allow your engine to reach normal operating temp before making the final adjustment.

Hope this helps and happy zoomin ;) :driver:

Tunes67
Last edited by Tunes67 on January 13th, 2010, 10:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

thanx for taking your time to do this for everyone :D
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

Thanks but I have a question;

Ok, I have no test light, no multimeter, no feeler guage, and no money...with that said, If I adjust the butterfly valve like you said to just open, will that be the stock setting or at least close to it? I really need to fix all of this but I won't have money to do it for a while (got backed up on bills :oops: ). I know I have asked about this many times but I want to make sure I completely understand what I'm doing so I don't just make it worse.

Basically what I want to know is if I just adjust the TPS screw to set the butterfly valve to just open as described above, should that make it close to stock setting and I would then be able to adjust the IAC to specs? Or will this potentially just make it worse and I should just wait until I can get a hold of the necessary tools?

BTW, as it is now, my car runs ok but if I let the clutch out while idling, it idles around 1500rpm, if I hold the clutch in while idling, it idles around 500-800rpm, depending on engine temp. Also I have a check engine light come on at higher speeds that never came on until I adjusted the TPS wrong so I'm hoping thats why it comes on.

Please bear with me on all these questions. Everyone has to start somewhere :P
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Thing is.. if you dont have a multimeter or a feeler gauge.. it wont matter where you set the butterfly valve and unfortunately.. I cant tell you where the stock position of it was (though your guess is as good as any). The butterfly valve position isnt as important as having the TPS properly adjusted to match the butterfly valve position. The feeler gauge costs less than $4 US.. do you have a relative or buddy that has a multimeter you can borrow for a hour or so? Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

Well the big thing is the multimeter, I don't know anyone who owns one. I suppose I could borrow one from AutoZone but I would have to do the work in their parking lot.

So that I understand it correctly, this is adjusting the TPS to match the butterfly valve, not actually adjusting it back to stock settings?

I might just try to adjust it back to where it was before going off the guages. I remember where it idled at before so maybe that will work.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The main issue with the butterfly valve is that you dont want it rubbing against the bore of the throttle body.. so you dont want to close it too much.. while the TB is on the car.. its pretty difficult to see how far open or closed the Butterfly valve is.. I suppose you could put one of the thicker feelers from the feeler gauge under the butterfly valve and then adjust it closed to where it hits the feeler and then lock the nut in place. But then you still need to do the TPS adjustment to match it to the new location of the butterfly valve. Best of luck.

Tunes67

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Hey.. I was dinking around at http://www.jcwhitney.com and I found this there.. its cheap.. but it would show continuity just fine..

Click Here

I dont know what shipping would be to you.. buy hey.. maybe check out http://www.harborfreight.com or e-bay you might be able to score one even cheaper or better quality for very little cash. Hope this helps.

Tunes67

azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

Ok thanks for all the help Tunes :D
forex4you
antispam: No

Re: Clean & Adjust your TB Pics Included P2 - Pix Fixed

Post by forex4you »

Much Appreciate you time and assistance..

Thank You!
m7x3r

Post by m7x3r »

Hey guys, I am hoping I can ask this question related to TB and the gunk in it and respects to the nice procedure made ... even though i didn't go this hardcore on cleaning my TB as described one time i noticed the start of the carbon build up... so i got one of those spray bottles throttle body cleaner or carb medic or watever so i followed their instruction first on a KLZE so much high compression when you take your intake piece and MAF right to the TB car will shut off so I had someone help me start it spray and chock on the butterfly... butterfly sometimes gets stuck like a lock mechanisim that i never understood my old K8 didn't do that but this one KL47 if you hit a certain RPM it will lock anyways ... chocking away at the car while spraying and wiping the inside of the TB clean around the butterfly flap spraying for less than 40 secs all together... then shut off the car for about 5 10 mins ... checked TB looked cleaner than before only few spots missed.. replaced the intake tube and all started the car ... car was already warm but was revving at 1500 RPM ... continued to rev high today it's down to 1200 or 1100 sometimes just at 1 but still when driving and popping it into neutral from say 3rd it will rev high i have also at the same time did a stop leak on my rad which affected engine temp and heater temp i had a small leak in the rad so i tried this stop leak but introduced some heat exchange problems... heater doesn't become really effective till after car is being driven not like before... thought i would mention this in case the vac system and rad. system or temp are somehow interconnected or readings at the ECU reflect each other....

thank you in advance sorry for the lengthy question...oh one last note my idle screw is almost tight all the way down... i usually adjust the screw without any jumper wires ... thanks
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
matt91gt

Post by matt91gt »

ok so im planning on doing this to my throttle body because im pretty sure its not adjusted properly. my only question is about that gasket for the idle air controller, where can i find a replacement and what does it cost? or could i just use some black rtv as a suitable replacement?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

you could use RTV, BUT i dont recommend it. It would have to be a tiny thick bead. You should be able to get the gasket at almost any parts store. If not couldn't be too much from Mazda. There are little kits you can buy to make your own O ring gasket, that could be an option
Vecia
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Vecia »

I just wanted to say, I fallowed this "How to..." to the letter. Got to tell ya... Freaking perfect! I just finished everything except my final idle adjustment because heavy sleet just moved in and my car is dang near running better than it ever has. Still buying the TB from you though, SuperK! So don't worry. :-) Simple Kudos, that's all.
petiec

Post by petiec »

l have a 95 1.6 and l also followed the write up.when i put it back together and started it up the rpm shut up to 2000! l did the ten and ground to adjust the idle speed had it screwed all the way in and it brought it down to maybe 1700 and then turn the dist. all the way down and it was about 1500. would the dealership be able to adjust the tps and the throttle? being that its running at such a high rpm? l dont have a muiltimeter to adjust it and dont want to screwed it up even more then it already is.does anyone know that it just needs to be adjusted? Thanks to everyone that can help me out. right now the car is just parked waiting to make a appointment at the dealer. :crying:

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”