CEL Re-Set Technique?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jsjkr

CEL Re-Set Technique?

Post by jsjkr »

Hi,
This will probably be one of those "stupid questions" where the smart folks say I should have been able to find the answer myself, but I'll risk asking anyway.

Is there a way to re-set the CEL codes?

I've had so many things wrong with my '92 MX-3 GS, it gives me about a dozen codes and I've fixed a lot of them (I think). Will the codes automatically go away once the problem is fixed, or do I need to re-set the codes?

I seem to recall something about having to disconnect the battery while holding the brake, but I've been looking through the manuals and forums for the past hour trying to find how to re-set the codes, but can't seen to find it.
The mechanic types probably know it off the top of their head, so I'm asking the question.

My most recent issue is failure to start...cranked but no ignition three days in a row. Then, the next day it starts right up perfectly, but hit an unusually high idle right after starting. I figure the computer will tell me the problem, but it's also still telling me other inputs such as the temp sensor overheated-- but that was when the oil filter coolant line corroded and leaked the radiator dry about 3 years ago.

So, if it re-sets automaticaly, I've got a lot of work to do. If I can re-set it and see what code(s) come up for current problems, it may be cheaper. Any ideas?

NOTE: To all the expert folks on MX-3.com, thanks for your assistance to guide us non-mechanics in the right direction. I have enough mechanical aptitude to follow manuals to repair stuff, but not enough experience to do it without some guidance where to start.

Thanks,

SRickert
92 MX-3 GS Red
wytbishop

Re: CEL Re-Set Technique?

Post by wytbishop »

94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
jsjkr

Post by jsjkr »

Thanks, In 2 minutes you answered exactly what I've been looking for nearly 2 hours. I really appreciate you sharing your expertise. SRickert

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”