GTR BPT engine swap in 93 MX3 engine harness problems

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
rusty

GTR BPT engine swap in 93 MX3 engine harness problems

Post by rusty »

I'm in the process of doing a GTR BPT engine swap in my 1993 SOHC MX3. I removed the stock ecu and engine harness and when i went to install the GTR harness i noticed one of the connector was different. Located down by the ECU, there is a black and white connector. On the MX3 the white connector is a 10 pin connector and there is another seperate two wire connector. Whereas the GTR has one single 15 pin connector.

The Black connectors are the same but have different wires in different locations? and not too sure what to do about the White connectors? Here's some pictures

MX3 White 10 pin connector Plug ^

MX3 White 2 pin connector plug ^

GTR White 15 pin connector Plug^

MX3 Engine Harness ^

GTR Engine Harness (X-06 is the 15 pin white plug and X-03 is the black plug) ^
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: GTR BPT engine swap in 93 MX3 engine harness problems

Post by Ryan »

Both the white and black MX-3 connectors go up into the dash harness.

It looks like both of the black connectors match. You may have to splice over the other plug.... is there a GTR engine harness diagram on CP?

Engine will run still, I think, but nothing else will work...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
rusty

Post by rusty »

The GTR white connector will not plug in as its too big. Like i said the GTR connector is a 15 pin and the MX3 is a 10 pin
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Thats what I said/meant... The black one looks fine, its just the white one that needs to be spliced over, unless you can get your hands on the GTR dash harness.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
rusty

Post by rusty »

Ok right i found a wiring diagram for the GTR on CP but the wiring colours in the connector don't match up with what i have. The connector is the same put just not the colours of the wiring or the locations. I also need to find a mazda wiring diagram for a 93 MX3 SOHC 1.6L so i can figure out which wire does what.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

hope this works out for you, post pictures of the swap! (unless i missed it somewhere)
cricketol2

Post by cricketol2 »

deleted
Last edited by cricketol2 on December 4th, 2010, 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
cricketol2

Post by cricketol2 »

i found your page on cp but im lost . i dont have the book was wondering if you could help out by any chance

i have a sohc and im swapping a bpt and was wondering if you could help me out with the splicing diagram i have color coding but how does it help with the rest

please help me out.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Well i got my gtr installed and running in my MX3 but the harness was my biggest issue. It was no easy task. First off the GTR and GTX harness is about 3 feet shorter then the MX3 cause it from a right hand drive car and would go threw the firewall on the left and side of the car. Where as the engine harness for the MX3 goes thew the firewall on the right had side of the car. It took me weeks of studying the two wiring diagrams MX3 and GTR to figure out which plugs i had to switch to make it work. Plus i also had to lengthen the complete harness. Do you have a GTX harness already?
rusty

Post by rusty »

yes you will have to replace the GTR 15 pin white connector with your mx3 10 pin white connector on the gtr/gtx harness. As well as move some wires around in the 20 pin black connector. plus lengthen the harness if this is the route you wanna go. Everyone told me to use a protege 1.8L DOHC harness but its has the same 15 pin white and 20 pin black connectors as the GTR/GTX and won't plug into your car either. Plus all the plugs on the protege harness don't match up with the GTR/GTX harness
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

rusty wrote:yes you will have to replace the GTR 15 pin white connector with your mx3 10 pin white connector on the gtr/gtx harness. As well as move some wires around in the 20 pin black connector. plus lengthen the harness if this is the route you wanna go. Everyone told me to use a protege 1.8L DOHC harness but its has the same 15 pin white and 20 pin black connectors as the GTR/GTX and won't plug into your car either. Plus all the plugs on the protege harness don't match up with the GTR/GTX harness
Lol, so you not realise that that spammer literally copy and pasted what YOU wrote? lol
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
cricketol2

Post by cricketol2 »

rusty what all did you use to find out what the wires did and went to.

im in need of that info as well and i have a gtx harness that came with the engine
cricketol2

Post by cricketol2 »

is this what the wires i need to splice? i would like to know so i can go with it or if this is not all the wires i would need to splice?

(main page)
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/veh ... Mazda.html

mx-3 1992 - 1993
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/cru ... /1383.html
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/ala ... /1383.html

Protege 1993
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/cru ... /1396.html
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/ala ... /1396.html

please tell me if im on the right path
rusty

Post by rusty »

Well this will help you with some of the wiring, which colours do what. These are your two yellow connectors that go into the ECU but the wiring colours will help you establish what they are for

http://www.323gtr.net/323gtr/html/Image ... Wiring.JPG
rusty

Post by rusty »

If you PM me your email address i can forward you a PDF format MX3 wiring diagram

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”