Fading, spotty paint - clear coat, etc

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
czwan

Fading, spotty paint - clear coat, etc

Post by czwan »

Hey, the top of my old MX-3 has been getting that cloudy, splotchy, faded look. I've noticed it's really bad recently, and I wondered if it is mainly an issue with the clear coat since it seems like it's getting faint little powdery crystals (?) in the faded areas.

My car sucks, but I wouldn't mind making it as presentable as possible....if that's a possibility. If there's not much I can do, then I probably won't bother with it.

I was at AutoZone and they had this stuff that was supposed to "bring it back to life" or whatever.....some kind of wax/polish that was kinda expensive. Wondering if it would be worth trying.

I'm sure this is a really common issue (with ancient cars)--thanks for any suggestions or recommendations.
solo_ryder

Re: Fading, spotty paint - clear coat, etc

Post by solo_ryder »

Usually there isnt much you can do if your clearcoat is failing. I am sure there are more members here versed in body work that can give you more tips..

Im guessing your mx3 is red... right?

I did a meguairs 3 step polish with a cheap buffer on my lil sis's 323 that had fading as hell paint and it made it look presentable after all that work.
czwan

Post by czwan »

Hmmm...mine's actually the greenish/bluish turquoise color, really common.

I actually haven't seen a lot of red ones...
czwan

Post by czwan »

So is the consensus that this isn't worth messing with? Or are there any solutions that work reasonably well? Thanks a lot!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

cant be as bad as mine. I would recommend a repaint of course.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”