Ignition Question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
TheNelson
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Ignition Question

Post by TheNelson »

On my '93 MX3 I have the K8ZE engine and the distributor from the old engine.

I am trying to track down an odd problem with the car where it will stall out when driving. I was checking the timing and I noticed with the ignition on and the timing light hooked up when I turn the disty the timing light would flash once (While hooked up to #1 spark wire) and the disty could click.

Also when moving the disty back and forth the fuel pump would come on and off randomly...

Is this a sign of a faulty distributor, coil, ignition module or wiring?

Thanks!
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Re: Ignition Question

Post by mikeinaus »

the timing light coming on when your moving the disty is normal. the position the disty is in is used for more fine tuning of the timing. however if your car is stalling and having problems restarting when its warmed up that is a symptom of a failing disty. i dont know anything about it affecting the fuel pump thow...

if you do a search there are a tun of threads on distributor related problems and how to test it properly.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

fuel pump uses distributor signals to run the pump and time the injectors. It should be consistent, not random.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Stalls when driving could be alot of things, but I would definately start by checking the disty. There is a good how-to test the disty in the online manual. Otherwise it could be bad temp sensors leading to too much gas, or bad O2s leading to too much gas too. However, usually that creates a backfire, not a stall. Could also be a clogged Cat or a loose or broken elec connection.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”