Scrolling line on screen.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Dragon1212
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Scrolling line on screen.

Post by Dragon1212 »

Okay just wondering if the culprit could be my alternator

So as some of you know i have sunvisors with lcds in them now When I plug my ps3 into the Inverter and turn it on the picture goes all shaky, and has a line that scrolls from the bottom to the top, Of course I'm running 2 visors one on standby, my radio and the amp for it, a 400Watt inverter and the PS3 plugged into it. now if i plug my neon in it gets worse, unplugged its still horrible, but when I use my ps2 its more than watchable and the line is almost completely gone. If I just use the bult in DVD's their is no problems at all.

Could my Alternator just not put out enough amperage to support all that?
Ideas please, I would tell you how many watt's my amp is but I don't remember from when I put it in the quarter panel, i have a good idea its well under 500 Watts

Thanks for the Help,
Dragon
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Scrolling line on screen.

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

More likely it's noise from the inverter. It's not true power from the outlet but a digital version; simulated signwave. You can always try a larger one, they get more efficient that way, but the PS3 aint' no slouch when it comes to power draw and your 400w (peak) inverter is probably working hard. The Ps2 of course drawing much less power. Also, the Ps3 is much more advanced and would be more subseptible to dirty power. Try running a Ps3 with an extension cord from your house just to see if you still get lines. The only real fix would be a true sign-wave inverter or if it exists, a ps3 powersupply that works directly off of 12v DC
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

okay I'll give it a try running from the house and see if the lines go away.

Oh Forgot to mention If i plug a crt into the inverter and use that it works fine line is barely noticable, on ps2 its not there, maybe I'll fix a 360 i have and try it it has about the same draw as a PS3.
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

there are puresine wave inverters on the market, just make sure that you get a sufficient wattage, I would go to 500+ watts for a ps3, a 1000 watt to be safe, also make sure the wiring is of the proper gauge to run it, no less than 4 gauge.
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

Newfie_dan wrote:there are puresine wave inverters on the market, just make sure that you get a sufficient wattage, I would go to 500+ watts for a ps3, a 1000 watt to be safe, also make sure the wiring is of the proper gauge to run it, no less than 4 gauge.
500 watts. for just a PS3. Man the thing only takes about 180 watts With the cd drive and the wireless on full tilt. Oh and I can run a crt on the same inverter and it doesn't have that problem. I just used 120V house wiring to wire it in i Originally was going to use Booster Cables everybody here told me that was overkill for 400 Watts. when it only does 380 Continuous 400 Peak

PUre SINe, expensive... but i would see how it would work it would adjust to the power fluctuations given by increased draw by other components.
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”