V-6 mounting orientation and oiling

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jaydog5678

V-6 mounting orientation and oiling

Post by jaydog5678 »

I've seen only a handfull of KL-v6's mounted to be set up for rwd or in the longitudinal position. I've also heard of oil problems with the v-6 mounted in such a way yet I can't verify that this could ever be a problem. Everything is just hearsay to me. Besides a different mounting position, have any V-6 owners expierenced thrown rod bearings due to lack of oil to the bearing/s with the oil being full? I have seen one KL here in town that had this problem however the car was tossed around in autocross racing. Does anyone know what the oil pressure should be for a KL engine? I have plans for a future KL build that should make around 5 - 600hp.
wytbishop

Re: V-6 mounting orientation and oiling

Post by wytbishop »

If I were going to do a radical build like that I would probably consider gutting the oil pump and installing an external sump so that starvation/cavitation could definitly be avoided.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

There's plenty of threads about oil starvation on here and even more on ProbeTalk, indeed there's not much you can do besides changing the system like wytbishop mentioned. There's one of the main problems is the oil passages in the motor, people usually get those improved upon when it's taken apart and built-up. For more pressure, an easy fix is shimming the oil pump, and using a ZR1 oil filter.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Thanks guys. The engine will have a dry sump oil system on it. I won't risk an expensive engine on a stock oil pump.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”