Beefing up stock antennae?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Dark_Rider2k3

Beefing up stock antennae?

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

So.. is there a way to "beef up" the stock antennae? It gets poor reception where I'm at, and is the main reason I don't listen to the radio in my car.

Slight static FTL
PoisonDrop

Re: Beefing up stock antennae?

Post by PoisonDrop »

You could buy an amplifier. I've had one, and it helps a little...

The other option is to replace the stock antenna with an aftermarket one, of course.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

There is like 4 feet worth that you can pull out. I've never had an issue with it. Get Sat radio, red dragons!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The problem could be your stereo. My MX-6 stereo has awful reception, it's a stock stereo.
The stereo in my MX-3 gets fantastic reception, it's a Kenwood.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Daninski wrote:The problem could be your stereo. My MX-6 stereo has awful reception, it's a stock stereo.
The stereo in my MX-3 gets fantastic reception, it's a Kenwood.
+1
My current deck gets horrible reception, I barely listen to the radio because of it. Lesson learned: don't buy cheap s---.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

well that is an interesting though..

I have an Alpine CDA-9856 so I wouldn't think there should be issues but you never know...
jmdearras
antispam: No

Post by jmdearras »

That's why I did this: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=72121" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

jmdearras wrote:That's why I did this: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=72121
I almost linked to your thread, sir, but couldn't find it...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I have a similar issue. My head unit is an Apline-98xx, I'm not sure at the moment; but it's quality.

My antenna works alright, unless I go within 100 feet of powerlines... then I get sharp static like analog TV in 2010. :(
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Conrad17
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Conrad17 »

Some Mx-3's ive seen came stock with an antennae booster, at least the two mx-3's ive had.
its just a mini amp, that splices your antennae?
does yours have one?
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Conrad17 wrote:Some Mx-3's ive seen came stock with an antennae booster, at least the two mx-3's ive had.
its just a mini amp, that splices your antennae?
does yours have one?
Honestly, I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to where that would be, in/near my audio wiring harness? I'll be doing a light tear-down on my dash this coming week to put in my e-spec vents, so I imagine I could take a peek at that too.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Conrad17
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Conrad17 »

yeah it'd be tied in right next to your stereo its just a small like 4x4 box with like 4 wires including your antennea wire.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Indeed my Mx-3 had no problems with FM reception, but I replaced the deck weeks after getting the car and it had nothing but some high-end Pioneer decks, but on that note, there was no factory amplifier either.

However, those amplifiers don't typically work. If you think about it logically, the problems with reception is that the signal coming into the radio is weak. If you get an amplifier, the only thing you're doing is making the weak signal louder, basically like yelling jubberish into a loud speaker..it's still jibberish, just louder.

There's only 2 ways to improve it. First would be to make the broadcast signal louder, but the radiostation nor the FAA would let that happen.

The other is to make the receiver more sensitive to the signal. One would be mostly by the antenna, making it more sensitive to vibrate to the signals, or to make the electronic receiver more sentitive to the vibrations of the antenna, but it can only pick up what the antenna is capable of at the most minute scale.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”