Can the ECU be modified?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
TheNelson
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Can the ECU be modified?

Post by TheNelson »

I just did an engine swap on my 93 MX3. I bought the car with a blown 1.8 and I purchased a Japanese 1.8 from http://www.tigerjapanese.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the engine we ordered: http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The engine did not have any EGR function and that was OK with me because I didn't want it. Now of course I'm getting the CEL's that pertain to it.

What's my best option for getting around this? Should I get the matching ECU that does not have these emission settings? Or can I just have the computer in my car flashed or re-tuned or something to ignore EGR settings?

Thanks!

MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Can the ECU be modified?

Post by MrMazda92 »

Cheapest option would likely be the J-Spec ECU, other than that having the ECU chipped(If possible with yours) would be likely 2-3 times the cost.

Welcome to the forums!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
K_I_R_K_S

Post by K_I_R_K_S »

The first i did with all of my cars running a K series V6 was unplug the EGR..

You do not need any mods to the computer. You can run any ECU and it will be fine. The EGR is only an anti pollution lump of junk... It also helps with warm up.

Just use the ECU you've got and it will be fine :)

cheers Declan
Orange 1995 Eunos 30X Race car KLDE
Orange 1994 Ford Telstar Race car KLDE-sold
Mazda 323 BF Turbo racecar in the build
Blue Mazda MX6 V6 4ws
Ford Telstar TX5 v6 4ws
TheNelson

Post by TheNelson »

MrMazda92 wrote:Cheapest option would likely be the J-Spec ECU, other than that having the ECU chipped(If possible with yours) would be likely 2-3 times the cost.

Welcome to the forums!
Do you know where I could purchase a J-Spec ECU? Are there any compatibility issues with trying to put a J-Spec computer in the car?
TheNelson

Post by TheNelson »

K_I_R_K_S wrote:The first i did with all of my cars running a K series V6 was unplug the EGR..

You do not need any mods to the computer. You can run any ECU and it will be fine. The EGR is only an anti pollution lump of junk... It also helps with warm up.

cheers Declan

I know the EGR doesn't really need to be in there but not only did I unplug the EGR... It's 100% removed from the car. I don't want to have a check engine light on - that is the biggest problem.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Tiger Jap has or at least had ECUs. Simply install the EGR from your K8, hook up the electrical plug and presto, no more CEL. No need to hook up the exhaust but because I'm lazy I hooked up my coolant lines.
More info on your swap here. http://forum.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 7&p=565685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
TheNelson

Post by TheNelson »

These are the codes I am getting:

As you can see, two for the O2 sensors, which I will replace tomorrow, and 3 for the EGR system.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

MrMazda92 wrote:Cheapest option would likely be the J-Spec ECU, other than that having the ECU chipped(If possible with yours) would be likely 2-3 times the cost.

Welcome to the forums!
I have to disagree with the relative cost break down given here. I haven't looked in a while but a KL36 ECU is going to be up around $200. I got my probinator chip for $50 and installed it myself in about 1/2hr.

go to his cardomain page and read the part that tells you how to determine if your ECU has the right board and chip to be replaced. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/728690/19 ... tura-ca-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even if yours is not the right board, it would be pretty easy to get your hands on one.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
K_I_R_K_S

Post by K_I_R_K_S »

TheNelson wrote:
K_I_R_K_S wrote:The first i did with all of my cars running a K series V6 was unplug the EGR..

cheers Declan

I know the EGR doesn't really need to be in there but not only did I unplug the EGR... It's 100% removed from the car. I don't want to have a check engine light on - that is the biggest problem.

only when i pull the engine out i remove it completely... haha
But iv never had an engine check light come on... thats odd...
Blue Mazda MX6 V6 4ws
Ford Telstar TX5 v6 4ws
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

wytbishop wrote:

Welcome to the forums!
I have to disagree with the relative cost break down given here. I haven't looked in a while but a KL36 ECU is going to be up around $200. I got my probinator chip for $50 and installed it myself in about 1/2hr.

go to his cardomain page and read the part that tells you how to determine if your ECU has the right board and chip to be replaced. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/728690/19 ... tura-ca-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even if yours is not the right board, it would be pretty easy to get your hands on one.
KL36 is the J-Spec 2.5 ECU, correct? I'm assuming it's not the same as the J-Spec 1.8, but I may be wrong on that one. :/

My second statement does hinge upon the accuracy of the first; assuming the ECUs aren't one and the same, then a chipped one will likely cost a bit more.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

MrMazda92 wrote:KL36 is the J-Spec 2.5 ECU, correct? I'm assuming it's not the same as the J-Spec 1.8, but I may be wrong on that one.
Indeed, you wouldn't run a KLDE ECU on a K8, so you'd get he same problems running a KLZE ECU on a K8ZE.

You can chip the ECU, i'm just wondering if they have the programs for modifying a K8 EEPROM. It's all about the 2.5L.

Probably the only way is to hook up the EGR or get a J-Spec K8ZE ECU.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
K_I_R_K_S

Post by K_I_R_K_S »

hmmm... again. what are these issues you speak of?? Iv done it... had a KFZE in a 30x on a K8 ECU..
Had a DE in a Telstar that was a ZE... no issue...
Blue Mazda MX6 V6 4ws
Ford Telstar TX5 v6 4ws
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

K_I_R_K_S wrote:hmmm... again. what are these issues you speak of?? Iv done it... had a KFZE in a 30x on a K8 ECU..
Had a DE in a Telstar that was a ZE... no issue...
a KF isn't that big of a jump of a motor for that ECU (only an extra 200cc), that motor does use a K8 head afterall and I'm going to take a guess that the KF uses the same 180cc injectors as the K8 which is the reason why it works, but many guys here had issues trying to get KF's to run on many ECU combo's and given up al together, so there's little documentation here on what actually works with a KF.

a KLDE ECU will run a KLZE just fine, people do it here all the time. they're both 2.5L motors, so ya, no problems there

Improper mixture, the ECU thinks the motor is 2500cc while the engine is 1800cc with 180cc injectors, and it's giving pulses for 220cc injectors, there's going to be a whole wack of confusion in the ECU, especially when it comes to reading the extra air coming into the VAF being sucked in by the extra 700cc and the bad mixture being measured by the 02's coming out of the exhaust cause the injectors are dumping in too much duel.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

My point in my last post was that a KL36 ECU was not what he needs to run the K8-ZE, therefor the high cost associated with the KL36 should not apply... I was trying to confirm whether or not a Chipped ECU would be less or more than the stock K8-ZE Ecu, but I haven't seen which ECU is stock with it.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

My mistake. I missed the japanese K8 part and assumed we were talking KLZE.

It would be theoretically possible to reflash the K8 EPROM but I don't know of anyone who ever has.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”