klze stutter @ higher RPM's?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: klze stutter @ higher RPM's?

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

OROutdoors wrote:Nd4SpdSe -- seems like you are saying that the problem is over because -Night-Shade-'s problem is solved. I think this is great. However, this is Frag's thread, not Night Shade's. I hope you don't mind if we continue to try to hepo Fragz, so long as he still has a problem.
LOL

It seems that everyone who's had their car behave in that manner ended up confirming it was an ignition issue. Fragz, how did you test your plug wires?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:LOL

It seems that everyone who's had their car behave in that manner ended up confirming it was an ignition issue. Fragz, how did you test your plug wires?
So, this thread and other threads currently being discussed in the V6 forum about igintion issues has inspired me to break out the ignition books and read again. While reading, I kept thinking "Wow, I have a new Nology Coil and a new Nology Capacitor just waiting to be used." Oh, and there's these spark gap testers that you let to see how far a gap the spark can travel (and how thick the arc). And then there's the trick of drilling holes in a tester Disty cap to see (with a strobe light) where the rotor is when the spark fires. So many toys, so much fun to be had! I can't wait until I get my car into the garage!
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

WTF is with the hole in disty idea - what a moronic idea.

Thats what ignition timing is for

How do you get a strobe to fire with spark anyway, without using a timing light?

Since you've got your timing light out, just point it at the crank like a normal person. That will give you a freakin' degree scale to measure it on....
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

Ryan wrote:WTF is with the hole in disty idea - what a moronic idea.

Thats what ignition timing is for

How do you get a strobe to fire with spark anyway, without using a timing light?

Since you've got your timing light out, just point it at the crank like a normal person. That will give you a freakin' degree scale to measure it on....
Perhaps I misunderstand... I'm really educated about ignition back from the points and condenser days. Back then, to adjust timing, you would rotate the disty a few degrees, thereby changing when the spark is released as compared to the angle of the crank shaft. Moving the disty, meant that the relative position of the rotor to the terminals remained the same. However, other timing affects position of rotor to terminals, as follows.

I know that you already know this stuff, but in order to explain, I have to recap some bacics. At high RPM, and open throttle, the vacuum advance is meaningless, instead the mechanical advance modifies the timing in relation to the angular position of the timing sensor shaft. That is, it is modifying when the spark is released in relation to the the position of the rotor to the terminals in the cap. If the mechanical advance is set to achieve a total maximum advance of 36 degrees BTDC, then the rotor is 18 degrees from being in line with the position of the terminal. Add to that half the angular coverage of the rotor arm (half = about 10 degrees on some rotors (this is a guestimate, I didn't measure)), and you have 28 degrees. At 6000 RPM, the rotor is moving at 3000 RPM = 50 RPSecond, or 18000 angular degrees per second. One angular degree takes 55 micro seconds.

Estimating 100 Microseconds for spark duration, a spark lasts for approximately 2 degrees of rotor rotation at 6000 RPM engine speed. Magically, 28 degrees plus 2 degrees of spark, and you are at 30 degrees -- a magic number of 6 cylinder engines. Since the spark plug wires terminals are evenly spaced around the disty cap, they are separated by 60 degrees, of which half is 30. Get it? It is possible for part of the rotor's conductive surface to <= to half the distance between terminals. If this were to happen, then the spark might be split between the two terminals -- the one it just fired previously, and the one it is going to fire this time. The charge that gets sent to the plug previously fired will harmlessly fire through mostly burned fuel/air mixture. However, that also means that the spark isn't as powerful for the cylinder that was intended to be ignited. This can only be visually seen if you use a disty cap with holes drilled in it, and then capture it with a timing light.

Now, this is applicable to this topic because we're talking about stutter at high RPM. High RPM is when the throttle is wide open, and vacuum advance is meaningless. At high RPM mechanical advance takes over. Mechanical advance affects timing in relation to angle of timing sensor. The problem Fragz was writing about happens at high RPM. This may be relevant to his situation. Or, it could be the plug wires, or the coil. None the less, checking the position of the rotor when the plug fires at high RPM is not a moronic idea.

Thank you for your comments.
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I think I misunderstood you now,

I thought you were drilling a hole in the cap, and using a strobe simply to see the rotor position relative to the crank... which is stupid, I'm sure you'll agree.

Now what you mean about the high RPM thing, I understand the concept, but I still don't think just looking through a drill hole will give you enough information about the position of the rotor to make any diagnosis.

As you know, the ECM is given information about the crank/cam positions by 3 seperate sensors.

The crank angle sensor generates 6 pulses (via hall effect sensor). The ECM uses this sensor at high RPM's, starting around 5k. This can be seen in the SAE papers for the K series engines.

The cam position sensors, called G and NE1, generate 1 pulse/rotation of cam, and 6 pulses/rotation of cam. Both hall effect again.

All of these sensors contribute to the timing of various systems, including spark....

Now, with an electronic system programming spark advance, its very safe to assume its way better at timing it all than any mechanical system (older distributors). The only fault in the system(aside from the known heat related flaws) is that YOU need to set the base timing, via mechanical ignition timing, turning the distributor. You need to set it to 10 +/- 1 degrees advanced. This is important, because this is the benchmark the ECM uses., and the ECM can't tell if you're off, 10 degrees or 140.

I would check this much before I would drill a hole in my cap. being 12, or 9 degrees, would be enough to potentially cause an ignition issue at high RPM's, for the reasons you mentioned (spark duration vs rotor position)

Its not likely Mazda overlooked the issue here. They set that timing benchmark for a reason. With that range of base values, the engine will run well. If your timing is off, not only do you lose (or gain) power from that, you could also have the effect you describe, because they would design the spark duration to not have that issue under normal/prime timing conditions....

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, my brain is a little cooked. Math exams are getting to me...

What the OP should do, is re-check the ignition timing and make sure its in spec. If that doesn't fix it, I'd take a run with the Crank angle sensor unplugged, see if it gets better, or worse, or unchanged. If one or more of those teeth is messed, say by a rock jamming inside there, it would FUBAR the signal, and the ECM would get a little confused. A new sensor and/or harmonic balancer may be in order.

Also check the spec of the plug wires and gap of the plugs.

I'd suggest replacing the cap/rotor if they're old. Cracked cap, especially our design, can cause the spark to jump from the trace to/from the coil/rotor and to one of the terminals. That didn't really make sense, but I'm trying to say its possible to bypass the rotor and short to a plug wire through a crack in the cap.

Since the efficiency of all coils drops off with speed, I'd look into that too. Try a newer distributor.

If that STILL doesn't fix it... plug wires and plugs.... then there's nothing left, you're just SOL.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
unclegreg

Post by unclegreg »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5KVHPYIEvQ
I still have problems up high. It runs pretty good otherwise. Maybe something with the HEI-wiring?
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

unclegreg wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5KVHPYIEvQ
I still have problems up high. It runs pretty good otherwise. Maybe something with the HEI-wiring?
That's 2nd-3rd gear right? Does seem a bit lacking up high. Definitely a miss up high. Looks like it's ignition related IMO. 100% positive those wires are ok? I'd start using trial and error replacement by using known working parts off a friend just to see the difference.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”