OROutdoors' 1992 mx-3 GS 1.8L

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

OROutdoors' 1992 mx-3 GS 1.8L

Post by OROutdoors »

I've owned this car for 3 years, got it in May 2007. I bought it from Steven Heller, who used to be on this board. I'm going to be doing some work on it soon, so I decided to start this work log. Since I bought it from Steve, I bought M3Girls' interior seats and panels. They look great. I removed the rear visor. I'll reinstall it after I get new tape.

Current Assessment: A little more than a week ago, I took the car to the DEQ and it passed. Prior to theft, the car drove well, plenty of torque, handles and brakes well. Rough idle when cold. After warming up, idles fine. The front bumper is torn up. I recently cleaned and re-oiled the CAI filter. The filter housing has several cracks, and several screw holes have torn out. I drilled new holes, and then, after assembling, I sealed the housing with aluminum foil tape. I think it actually looks pretty good. Oil was recently changed. Heads were rebuilt proir to purchasing 3 years ago. The car was recently stolen; the steering column plastics were broken, the arm rest was broken, the ignition cylinder has been thoroughly screwed up, there is some sort of electrical issue -- the lights and clock don't even work, (battery is fine), and a hole was punctured in the front drivers seat. And I HATE this next part -- now it smells of smoke!

Currently, this is the list of things to be done:
Replace the ignition key cylinder
Replace broken plastics
Troubleshoot electrical system, determine nature of failure
Install quick connect battery clamps
Improve electrical system by creating positive and negative busses, to power accessories (like stereo, alarm, etc) separately from engine electrical circuits
Install new coil
Replace a worn belt; inspect other belts
Replace vaccuum hoses
Remove slim visors, clean-up tape residue, reinstall with new tape
Wet-sand rear visor, then recoat with clear coat
Reinstall rear visor, using new tape and new clamps
Install CAI anti-syphon valve; seal fender area off from engine compartment
Repair the corners of the CF hood; replace hood hinges
Install new hood pins -- I have key-locking hood pins -- looks like nipples
Install safety chain for hood
Repair front bumper wrap
Buy and install Projector headlights
Clean Altezza tails, and paint from silver to Teal, perhaps Black
Repair minor body dents
Repair wheel scrapes
Speaking of wheels, the bolt cover is getting old I should create new ones
I have second intake mani, which I will either burnish or sand/buff till shiney then powder coat
Likewise for a second set of valve covers
If I can find the time, I want to create a new wiring harness and move the wires out of sight.
I have an entire Erebuni body kit, I need to install some day
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: OROutdoors' 1992 mx-3 GS 1.8L

Post by Sleeper6 »

Just an idea, as I was close to getting it after I got broke into twice, get a removeable steering wheel. Nice race inspired upgrade, and when you go in the house, no steering wheel for them to drive with!
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

Okay, so an update. A few years ago, my car was stolen, and I got it back, but it hasn't been the same for me. I want to wrap up some projects and tie up some loose ends, and drive the car again.

My neighborhood association was getting bitchy about my mx-3 being there and not being driven for a long time. So I tried to start the car, and thought the battery was good, there was no click in the started. I suspected the solenoid was bad, but I didn't have the time to fix it, so i paid a home-mechanic from down the street to replace it. The mx-3 had a brief life, as it started and ran for a few weeks. I made sure to drive the car through the neighborhood making as much noise with my muffler as possible so the neighborhood association could see it it was being driven. LOL.

I took it in for a DEQ inspection so I could re-license the car. It failed -- too rich. I took the car to a mechanic to be tweaked for a passing grade, and get his opinion on what should be done. He said the catalytic converter was melted, and the spark plugs ran too hot. He mentioned some things about hot vs cold plugs which was different from what I remember, so I made a note of it, and will investigate. This was in the Spring of 2018. Anyway, I bought new plugs and a new cat, had not yet installed them. Then I tried to start the car again, and the same thing -- non responsive solenoid. Not have the time still, the car sat.

About 2 weeks ago, the battery was dead, but no matter I thought, the solenoid doesn't work anyway, LOL, I'll just roll-start it. It would not catch. I probably should have charged the battery first. Anyway, I put the car into my garage. I bought have a new solenoid to replace the old. Also, last I drove the car, I noted that the car had a rough idle. I suspect a leaky hose. So, with all that, here's my upcoming To Do List:
1. Fully charge and inspect the battery; replace if needed.
2. Remove Solenoid, and test; replace if needed.
3. Test Electrical connections for voltage loss over various points.
4. Test Alternator.
5. Replace sparkplugs, adjust timing.
6. Replace cat.
7. Check hoses for air leaks, check other possible causes of surging idle.
8. Replace hose to PVC valve.
9. Inspect, replace PVC valve as needed.

I like having my car in the garage. Not sure why my wife doesn't like it. Maybe it's because I pile a bunch of stuff from the garage in front of the standing freezer in order to make room for the car. LOL.
Oregon Outdoors
2013 Mazdaspeed3
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Solenoid? Are you talking about starter solenoid? Im surprised you have to do emission on 1992 car. In WA its 25 years and you don't have to do emissions. OR is probably different cause you got damn libtards running the state.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

mitmaks wrote:Solenoid? Are you talking about starter solenoid? Im surprised you have to do emission on 1992 car. In WA its 25 years and you don't have to do emissions. OR is probably different cause you got damn libtards running the state.
Yes, the starter solenoid seems like it is not working. So, that will be the first thing to replace. It is darn cold out right now, so this might have wait until the weather warms into the 40s or 50s.

I have now charged and tested the battery. It shows 12.4 V, and briefly showed about 600 CCA. My meter is analog with small range for good readings, so hard to read specific numbers.

In Oregon, they instituted a similar policy in 2000 (or just before), anything 1975 or newer must be tested. I thought, oh 25 years, so in 2018, cars older than 1993 wouldn't need DEQ certification. I was wrong. The cut-off line is not 25 years old -- it is the year 1975. So only in year 2000 was it 25 year old cars that wouldn't need DEQ testing.

2019 now. Happy New Year!
Oregon Outdoors
2013 Mazdaspeed3

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”