KLZE and emissions testing

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Lesley

KLZE and emissions testing

Post by Lesley »

Hey all

Contemplating a KLZE swap... which has been largely influenced by blowing my current engine to smithereens over the weekend. :cry:
Have any of you in Ontario who've completed this swap had any trouble when it comes to emissions testing? Fortunately... I had the good sense to buy a 2-year sticker last time... so I've got a while before this becomes a really pressing concern....
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed
97 Dodge Dakota - Boyd rims, custom built 5.9 360, custom tranny with kevlar guts and shift kit. Too many upgrades to list.
92 Mazda 323 - winter beater

mx3 by Leadfoot Lesley, on Flickr
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: KLZE and emissions testing

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Technically you could get it tested under "hot rod" status since it has a different engine. The allowances are really high and it would surely pass. However if you've got everything running properly and a working cat there's no reason why it shouldn't pass a regular e-test.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Excellent... that's good to know. I had heard that they tend to run rich.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed
97 Dodge Dakota - Boyd rims, custom built 5.9 360, custom tranny with kevlar guts and shift kit. Too many upgrades to list.

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

My 2.25 stock exhaust no problems. My 2.5" not stock high flow cat exhaust,,,not so good. Barely passes HotRod status with the RPM kept at 2300 (range is 2250-2700) and the PVC unplugged (shhh). New plugs, ethanol gas and me driving the hell out of it just before the test. I've been told by the test facility he's never seen a high flow cat pass/
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

The cat was replaced (and 02) barely a month ago, and it passed but barely.
The stock engine was burning quite a lot of oil.
I plan on leaving the current cat in place, but replacing the muffler with one from a Shelby CSX... had it on my old MX3 and it sounded fantastic when I downshifted.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Do the KLZE swap and I'm sure you'll be fine. Go to the Dealership and ask for a letter so you can use it at the Clean Air test to run Hot Rod status. Don't give the letter to the test station have them photo copy it. My clean air station kept the original then asked for it again. I told them they had it and get stuffed. Now on my other ZE I keep the original.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My ZE passed as a K8 no problem, twice. You just need to make sure the engine is good, have a good cat, working 02 sensors and the right ecu/vaf combo and you should be good to go. The guys in Ontario as far as I know have seldomly had issues passing e-tests. We seem to be the home of the "ZE's that can pass emission test and get over 30mpg".
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

That's excellent news. I lived through one really screwy engine swap with my truck -- put a big 5.9 V8 into a model that didn't come with that engine, had to have a custom-flashed computer since none of the available units would talk to the gauges. It was a major pain in the butt from start to finish.
I'm looking at a few KLZE. I've heard bad things about Tiger Japan in TO, yet their feedback on ebay is good.
Same goes for Eagle Japan.
Anyone know if these engines just drop right in, or will there be trouble with the manifolds fitting?
Trying to source one out of an MX3, but the one I was interested in is gone.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Lesley wrote: I'm looking at a few KLZE. I've heard bad things about Tiger Japan in TO, yet their feedback on ebay is good.
Same goes for Eagle Japan.
Indeed, search around, you'll hear from negative first hand experiences...
Lesley wrote: Anyone know if these engines just drop right in, or will there be trouble with the manifolds fitting?
Search...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

There are a bunch of used KLZEs for sale on Kijiji right now.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Yeah, two of them are gone, and one doesn't respond to emails.

In response to the "try search" post... i have. It's extremely slow. Searching for info on "emissions and KLZE" yielded nothing.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If my son dosen't give me his Probe GT soon you can buy the ZE I have. I want to compression test it first. Looks like it only has around 60k.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Lesley

Post by Lesley »

When will you know? I can come and get it any time - I'm in Peterborough.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed

Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Not having a whole lot of luck finding a good KLZE... but have been offered a KLDE for a good price.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed

MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Lesley wrote:Not having a whole lot of luck finding a good KLZE... but have been offered a KLDE for a good price.
If you're planning to build the engine up, a good DE is a great starting point. Everything depends on your goals, but for my route I'm going DE as a base.

If you're looking for near bolt-on power, at reasonable cost, then most people would recommend a ZE.

Try google, whatever question you have... ask it, and then include "mx-3.com" with the quotes, it will bring results from this forum to the top, and will be a simpler search tool than the in-forum one is.

Good luck, and stay active! =)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”